Stop Windows 10 Update Assistant from running

Anonymous
2018-01-08T16:13:57+00:00

I'm running Windows 10 1607 on a system that isn't compatible with version 1709. But Windows thinks it is compatible, and so every day it runs Windows 10 Update Assistant and tries to download a 5GB update that will inevitably fail to install if I let it run. (I've set up a metered connection to block this from automatically happening.) 

How do I completely block Windows 10 Update Assistant from running?

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2018-04-25T18:47:17+00:00

    You cannot stop the Update Assistant.  I have blocked everything that I have been told to block and it just keeps coming back.  If you can set your machine to metered do that, but it will still keep telling you the same thing about updates but at least you will be able to click "remind me later".  Its obviously something Microsoft has done but you cant get away from it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-04-08T20:47:07+00:00

    I face also face the same problem but as u suggested i uninstall windows 10 update assistant but when i tried to delete folder from c:\ drive this error shows

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-04-08T20:37:46+00:00

    Hii i face the same problem but as u suggest i uninstall the windows 10 update assistance. 

    But whenever i tried to follow this

    C:\ drive 

    Select the Windows10Upgrade folder 

    To delete it, this error message occur.

    Now how to solve this problem.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-03-31T16:53:08+00:00

    raymondlee306, I just checked with the member that posted the download folder permissions fix and he, like me, hasn't had any updates for weeks now.

    Did you follow all 12 steps exactly?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2018-03-30T21:39:15+00:00

    This works - see Page 11.

    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update-winpc/how-to-turn-off-windows-updates-permanently/603be1d3-b4c5-415a-9094-db0e9d3fc9ab

    I did that a couple weeks ago. It lasted about 3-4 days then magically started trying to update again. Nothing can stop this update. Some tricks slow it down but the hand of God comes down and reverts the changes we make back.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments