File not found. Check the file name and try again.

Anonymous
2018-03-30T19:55:52+00:00

Running Wordpad and other applications, I cannot save a file. When I try to, I receive the error message "File not found. Check the file name and try again."

I have Windows 10 on a Dell Inspiron and I have tried Windows and Dell diagnostics and CHKDSK/r/f to no avail.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2018-05-21T06:36:45+00:00

Turn off Controlled Folder Access:

  • Select Start  > Settings .
  • Choose Update & security  > Windows Defender.
  • Select Open Windows Defender Security Center.
  • Select Virus & threat protection, and then choose Virus & threat protection settings.
  • Under Controlled folder access, turn it on or off.

Was this answer helpful?

1100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2019-03-17T16:46:39+00:00

    Apparently, a Windows update issue. Did a system update manually on Windows. Has worked for now...

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-11-22T01:35:28+00:00

    Life saver. I was going nuts

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-10-10T17:35:23+00:00

    cảm ơn, :)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-10-03T23:53:58+00:00

    When I get to the Virus & threat protection page, it says, "Getting protection info" and 5 little blue dots cross my screen over and over.  It's been doing that for over an hour.  Is there any other way to get to the Controlled folder access?

    UPDATE -- left the computer on overnight and woke up to "Getting protection info" still processing :(

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments