File not found. Check the file name and try again.

Anonymous
2018-03-30T19:55:52+00:00

Running Wordpad and other applications, I cannot save a file. When I try to, I receive the error message "File not found. Check the file name and try again."

I have Windows 10 on a Dell Inspiron and I have tried Windows and Dell diagnostics and CHKDSK/r/f to no avail.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2018-05-21T06:36:45+00:00

Turn off Controlled Folder Access:

  • Select Start  > Settings .
  • Choose Update & security  > Windows Defender.
  • Select Open Windows Defender Security Center.
  • Select Virus & threat protection, and then choose Virus & threat protection settings.
  • Under Controlled folder access, turn it on or off.

Was this answer helpful?

1100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2018-10-03T08:34:10+00:00

    Thanks a lot :-)

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-08-10T18:06:49+00:00

    Hello I am having the same error but am on windows 7 and there is no controlled folder access. Any help? I am trying to use a .iso file with vmware

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-12-13T15:32:46+00:00

    Why on earth would I need to disable a security feature each time I wish to perform one of the most common functions on a computer?  

    I really hate Microsoft.  You can't seem to make anything that functions properly.  And you don't really seem to care.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-09-23T17:20:34+00:00

    I get to Virus & threat protection and then it shows "Getting protection info ..." and hangs there.  I can't get to the next screen.  The five little blue dots keep sliding across the screen, but that's as far as I get.  It's been like this for more than 10 minutes :(

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments