they need to find the fix for what ever the problem is. there are to many people having same issue. hope they find it soon and fix it
Controlled Folder Access Blocked problem in Windows Defender
On 12/13 , Windows Defender did an update and ever since I keep getting messages like the following when I try to access programs such as Carbonite, Quicken, etc. The message says:
Controlled folder Access Blocked C:\Program Folders ...qw.exe from making changes to the folder %userprofile\desktop
I have turned off the Controlled Folder Access off in Windows Defender as this error message popped up every time I wanted to access a program. I was able to get into the program but need to know what is going on and what I can do about it. Thank you.
Windows for home | Windows 10 | Security and privacy
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
51 answers
Sort by: Most helpful
-
Anonymous
2018-03-27T22:31:45+00:00 -
Anonymous
2018-03-27T21:25:40+00:00 It wasn't just not allowing me to install the program, what started it all is that it wouldn't allow me to save the file I was working on in my Documents which I had no problem doing until yesterday. It also didn't allow me to run the Seagate backup software that was already installed. With Defender off, I don't have either of these problems. Do you think that turning on Windows Defender and turning off CFA will stop these problems as well? I do have Malwarebytes Premium and have been very happy with it.
-
Anonymous
2018-03-25T22:38:17+00:00 If Controlled Folder Access is functioning normally, then you can try turning it back on and allowing the app through Controlled Folder Access with these steps:
-
- Click on the notifications icon at the far right in the taskbar.
-
- Write down the file path provided in the notification.
-
- Click on the notification, and then on the Add button (+).
-
- Navigate to the file identified in the notification and open it.
But if that doesn’t work, then you probably have a more complex issue – possibly involving a conflict with Spybot; undetected malware remnants; residual antimalware remnants; or system corruption.
So here’s the catchall dragnet for issues with Windows Defender:
- Remove any undetected malware by scanning with several third-party malware-removal apps:
- Remove any antimalware remnants by running the cleanup utilities for any preinstalled or previously installed AV apps:
- Run the standard Windows 10 system integrity checks:
GreginMich
-
-
Anonymous
2018-03-25T22:02:25+00:00 I was able to get the control access folder off but doesn't that cause a issue with stuff being able to get in my computer. what you sent for me to down load came up with no problems...I am very confused but I do see others are having this problem....hope they come up with a fix soon
-
Anonymous
2018-03-25T20:48:10+00:00 I was answering the original question belatedly, since it was never resolved. You might need to scan for malware with some of the tools listed here, starting with Malwarebytes Free:
The interface for allowing an app through Controlled Folder Access is a file-picker dialog, where you select the file from the File Explorer list and then click on the Open button. But if the switch for Controlled Folder Access is greyed out, then it sounds like you might have put Windows Defender into some kind of undefined error state due to a conflict with the paid version of Spybot, or perhaps with some other third-party AV app. You can try disabling or uninstalling your third-party AV protection and then see if you can switch Controlled Folder Access off.
GreginMich