.Docx files are not showing word icon but only white plain icon (Windows 10)

Anonymous
2018-01-27T12:53:51+00:00

There is no problem in the process of opening of the files in word. it is just not showing the icon.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

50 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2021-03-19T17:07:07+00:00

    Thank you very much, it worked.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-12-27T15:00:50+00:00

    Hello. I had the same issue and solved through this way.

    1. Execute "regedit"
    2. Locate "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Word.Document.12\ShellEx"
    3. Delete the "IconHandler" key (I recommend making registry back-up file before deleting)
    4. (optional) To see if this has worked without re-boot, you can simply change the default program to ".docx" file from MS Word to another program, and then change back to MS Word.

    Hope this helps.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-09-22T00:38:58+00:00

    What worked for me was finding a system with a good Office 365 installation where Word icons were showing correctly.  I exported out the entire .docx registry key on the known good system.  Then, on the system that had the missing word icon, I did the following:

    1. I exported out the current .docx registry key for backup purposes.
    2. I then merged the .reg file from the known good system on the system with the missing word icon.
    3. I then right-clicked a word file, clicked open with, then clicked Choose another app, selected Wordpad, check boxed Always use this app to open .docx files, then click okay.
    4. Followed step 3 again, but this time for MS Word
    5. You may have to reboot for changes above to go into effect.

    These steps are all mostly from this post.  However, the approach with the registry along with the sequence above worked for me.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-07-05T05:35:35+00:00

    Thank you very much,

    it worked.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2020-03-15T21:56:25+00:00

    I had the same problem and tried several solutions, but what really worked was to reset the default applications, under Settings> Applications> Default Applications> Click the Reset Button.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments