Windows 10 update changed my personal settings---WHY???

Anonymous
2017-11-18T01:41:39+00:00

Feature update to Windows 10, version 1709 just installed itself on my computer. I checked the details of the so-called new features. There's absolutely nothing there that I need or want. But I had no choice. During the update, Microsoft changed my display language and turned on password protected sharing. It also deleted the quick start toolbar from my taskbar. There may be other changes that I haven't found yet.

At no time during the update did I receive any notification about these changes. Every time Windows 10 updates, I have to spend hours tracking down and fixing unwanted changes.

Why do you do these things, Microsoft? Is there a setting that lets me protect my personalization settings from your stupid unwanted "feature" updates?

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2017-12-09T01:10:04+00:00

    NO !!!!!!  FIVE TIMES I HAVE TRIED THIS TAKING AGES  WITH ALL ANTI VIRUS SETTINGS DEACTIVATED AS ADVISED AND ALL OTHER THINGS TRIED STILL NOTHING OTHER THAN THERE HAS BEEN A PROBLEM AND MAYBE ( YEAH MAYBE ) ITS YOUR ANTI VIRUS. TRY RESTORING TO A DIFFERENT RESTORE TIME  ( BUT TOUGH WE HAVE DELETED ALL THEM ) SO I CANT EVEN DO THAT . 

    How can you really justify your POSITION AT MICROSOFT  as experts when your  SOLUTIONS DON'T WORK ?

    GIVE US A SOLUTION THAT WORKS SO WE CAN AT LEAST USE THE DEVICE WE PAID FOR TO WORK HOW IT DID BEFORE YOUR FANTASTIC UPDATE .

    MUPPET !!!!!!   I SHOULD BE BILLING YOU BY THE HOUR FOR ALL THE CRAP I HAVE TO DO TO RECTIFY SOMETHING YOU LOT HAVE SCREWED UP

    Was this answer helpful?

    20+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-02-09T05:43:29+00:00

    What you just said is all a load of crock! I have disabled the updates in registry, option menu and services but windows 10 keeps enabling them

     Windows 10 by microsoft keeps infringing on my paid software on my paid computer and on my paid windows 10 operating  os and infringes on  my freedom  choice and tramples on our liberty of expression. Micrsoft should be charged for crimes against humanity and for taking away our choice for which system users can use. 

    Its against every thing the declararion  independance states about our freedom and liberty acts. You microsoft have forced us to use a system we the general public dislike.

    Was this answer helpful?

    20+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-12-08T07:49:27+00:00

    I am having the same issue. The update erased the settings on my computer, and I would like them restored. And yes, I submitted "feedbac."

    Hi yes this also happened to me last night, this is ridiculous. Done the update automatically & then wipes everything from documents to my browser bookmarks. 

    Simple question HOW DO I GET ALL MY STUFF BACK LOOKING EXACTLY HOW IT WAS ?

    I JUST HAD TO REVERT MY KEYBOARD BACK TO THE CORRECT SETTINGS & THAT WAS PAIN STAKING ENOUGH, SO WITHOUT HAVING TO HAVE A COMPUTER DEGREE OR BEING A ROCKET SCIENTIST CAN YOU PLEASE TELL ME HOW TO REVERT MY PC TO WHERE IT WAS BEFORE OR I AM SWITCHING TO A MAC BECAUSE YOU HAVE REALLY DROPPED THE BALL ON THIS UPDATE.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-03-14T17:18:28+00:00

    Well -- BS.

    It's only ~ five months later and there no longer is a Windows 10 "Feedback Hub". 

    So much for feedback.

    If I was giving feedback, it would be the same as this thread -- I just had a Windows 10 update pushed to my computer overnight and I find several settings changed. Who knows how many others have changed. Windows 10 has proved to be very good -- but this pushing changes with zero ability to prevent miscellaneous settings is ridiculous. 

    Example:

    All the notification area icons changed. Some I had hidden resurfaced. Others just disappeared. Notification icons on the taskbar changed.

    Stop. Just stop.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2017-12-09T05:28:01+00:00

    @Rey Bel1: "we recommend that you perform system restore"

    All my restore points date from AFTER this damned update. Could you find someone competent to answer this question. The last update wiped my personalization settings and destroyed my restore points.

    "...some of these changes were made to further improve Windows"

    Really? If you're serious about improving Windows, why not start by fixing some of the long-standing bugs and defects, like the Red X problem on network shared drives, and instability in taskbar settings. The last update was just frippery and feature bloat targeted toward tablet users.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments