Bluetooth adapter device cannot start (code 10)

Anonymous
2017-11-05T02:13:33+00:00

Greetings,

After installing the Fall Creators update, I started experiencing problems with my bluetooth adapter driver (Intel(R) Wireless Bluetooth(R)). The device manager gives

so I cannot connect any bluetooth device to my PC. I tried re-installing the adapter driver (by removing it entirely from my PC then reinstalling from Intel's website, my motherboard's DVD, etc.) which did not correct the problem, noting that it has always been in the latest version. I have used other things provided by Microsoft such as the installation/uninstallation troubleshooter, which suggested that the registries may have not properly been removed. This appeared to be the case, though this did not resolve the driver issue. Uninstalling the update and repeating the above did not fix this either. Any suggestions as how to proceed?

I note that the bluetooth adapter driver is fully functioning on my dual-booted Manjaro operating system.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2018-06-12T04:32:06+00:00

    I had a similar problem: brand new ASROCK H370 mini-ITX motherboard with onboard intel bluetooth wireless. Then installed the intel chipset drivers from Asrock's website (Intel Serial IO, Bluetooth drivers, etc...) and Apple bluetooth drivers to make my mighty mouse work. A few days later, the bluetooth driver threw up an error 10 and the troubleshooting didn't help. Here's how I got it to work--

    I used IObit uninstaller to do a complete uninstall of all these drivers + registry entries. I also uninstalled the intel bluetooth drivers that were bugging using device manager, then I rebooted. Windows automatically re-installed the bluetooth drivers and it worked great! I think there was some kind of incompatibility between the intel drivers on Asrock's website and Windows.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-04-18T14:17:11+00:00

    I am getting an error window that shows that the command btmshellex.dll does not exist.  My issue is I am getting bluetooth remote control cannot start.  This causes sporadic issues using Bluetooth devices.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-04-14T00:36:54+00:00

    I think I am having the same problem. I also have a custom built PC with an ASROCK Z270 Killer SLI motherboard. However when I type the commands that you posted above into cmd (running as administrator), I get an error that states that the module failed to load, and that it could not be found.

    Is there anything I can do to fix this?

    Hi John,

    Just to check, are you having an issue with your Bluetooth?

    We're looking forward to your reply.

    Yes,

    There was a small update that came out earlier this week. After the update the bluetooth on my desktop no longer works. When I check on the bluetooth driver (Intel(R) Wireless Bluetooth) in Device Manager, I get the same error that the original poster had. It says

    "This device cannot start. (Code 10)"

    "STATUS_DEVICE_POWER_FAILURE"

    I am also running driver software 19.41.0.1

    I am not able to connect any bluetooth enabled devices to the PC. I have not gotten this error before until the update that was downloaded and installed earlier this week. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the driver software, but it still gives the same error. I was hoping that since I have the same motherboard as the original poster I would be able to use the same solution that he did in order to make it work. It doesn't look like I have that file on my system though as when running the command posted above in the command prompt, as administrator, I get an error that states that the module "btmshellex.dll" failed to load and that the specified module could not be found.

    I don't think I am able to roll back from this update since it was not a major one.

    Any recommendations on what I can do?

    Thank you for your reply.

    The error "This device cannot start. (Code 10)" usually appears when the device's hardware key contains a "FailReasonString" value, and the value string displays an error message defined by the hardware manufacturer.

    To resolve this, please perform the following:

    1. Run the hardware and device troubleshooter.
    2. Update the Bluetooth driver.

    You may also check the following useful articles:

    1. Error codes in Device Manager in Windows
    2. How to use the Regsvr32 tool and troubleshoot Regsvr32 error messages

    Feel free to post back should you need further help.

    I did the troubleshooter. IT fixed something then the adapter worked, then went back to error code 10. What is happening?

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-02-17T04:35:08+00:00

    I attempted to perform a system restore to the proper date. System restore fails and I get error message 0x80070005 that system restore could not access file. It suggests that an antivirus program may be the cause. However I turned that off and tried system restore a 2nd time and still got the same error.

    In other forum posts there are suggestions that a read only System Volume Information folder may be to blame. However the directions to make it temporarily not read only don't seem to work in Windows 10 as there is no options to view protected operating system folders.

    Do you have any suggestions?

    Thanks!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2018-02-14T23:16:28+00:00

    Since my PC did not have a lot of programs on it, I resolved the problem by reinstalling Windows. After this the bluetooth was working properly.

    However, last night there was an update and when my PC was turned own this morning the Bluetooth is no longer working again. I did go through the process of checking for driver updates again, but everything appears to be up to date. I also tried the method that was suggested earlier about using btmshellex.dll registration error with the Regsvr32 tool. The error that I get with the Regsvr32 tool when I use the elevated command prompt and type "regsvr 32 /u btmshellex.dll" is that ...

    "The module "btmshellex.dll" failed to load.

    Make sure the binary is stored at the specified path or debug it to check for problems with the binary or dependent .DLL files.

    The specified module could not be found."

    Based on this and the link you provided, it looks like the btmshellex.dll file is not in the correct location or doesn't exist. I ran a search in windows file explorer over the entire C: drive and it was not able to find it.

    Based on my update history, there were two updated installed last night.

    One was the "2018-02 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1709 for x64-based Systems (KB4074588)"

    The other was "Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool x64 - February 2018 (KB890830)"

    Thanks for help. If there is anything else you need let me know.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments