Bluetooth adapter device cannot start (code 10)

Anonymous
2017-11-05T02:13:33+00:00

Greetings,

After installing the Fall Creators update, I started experiencing problems with my bluetooth adapter driver (Intel(R) Wireless Bluetooth(R)). The device manager gives

so I cannot connect any bluetooth device to my PC. I tried re-installing the adapter driver (by removing it entirely from my PC then reinstalling from Intel's website, my motherboard's DVD, etc.) which did not correct the problem, noting that it has always been in the latest version. I have used other things provided by Microsoft such as the installation/uninstallation troubleshooter, which suggested that the registries may have not properly been removed. This appeared to be the case, though this did not resolve the driver issue. Uninstalling the update and repeating the above did not fix this either. Any suggestions as how to proceed?

I note that the bluetooth adapter driver is fully functioning on my dual-booted Manjaro operating system.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2018-02-13T10:52:51+00:00

    Hi team, I have same issue, have tried

    1. Bluetooth support service - restart solution - this didn't work

    2)Have tried uninstalling driver and installing new driver - this didn't work as on restart the old driver loads and error message appears

    1. Have tried updating driver - this didn't work as its up to date

    3)Have tried cmd: regsvr32 /u btmshellex.dll - this gives me fail to load error4_ in command prompt

    Have an asus ux305

    Don't really know where to go from here? Don't really want to start screwing round in the registry. This has ended badly in the past.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-01-17T12:22:00+00:00

    I also am having this problem. Have tried all the solutions presented above to no avail. I am trying to connect Bose QuietComfort 35 II headphones to my CyberPower Windows 10 64 bit PC.

    Was this answer helpful?

    7 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-10-19T15:57:56+00:00

    Hello! I have the same computer and I added a second drive. Everything looks good except for the bluetooth driver. I will be trying some of the options but I think I will bring it back to the guy that did the drive change.

    Was this answer helpful?

    6 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-05-01T08:54:49+00:00

    Half the time when this happens you just need to turn your computer off and on again.  (not reboot).  It's very annoying

    Was this answer helpful?

    6 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2017-11-05T09:18:50+00:00

    Hi Torus,

    One of the possible reasons why this issue occurs is due to a corrupted or incompatible device driver. We would like to know more about the issue so we can assist you better. Please answer the following questions:

    • What is the make and model of your PC? Can you also tell us the make and model of your Bluetooth device?
    • Is the issue the same when you're trying to connect other Bluetooth devices on your computer?
    • Are you receiving any error messages when connecting your Bluetooth device to your computer?

    Meanwhile, we recommend that you follow the steps provided on this **link**as an initial troubleshooting. The article will provide you step by step instruction on how to fix Bluetooth issues in Windows 10. This will also help us isolate the issue.

    Please post back with the result for further assistance.

    Thank you for replying. Forgive me, I used the wrong terminology (I will edit the original post). I will clarify again here.

    I cannot connect any bluetooth devices to my PC since the bluetooth adapterdriver has the status:

    This device cannot start. (Code 10)

    STATUS_DEVICE_POWER_FAILURE

    I never received this error until after the Fall Creator's update. After several failed attempts to delete and reinstall the adapter driver, I tried to uninstall the Windows update. On start-up, I began to receive the following error message:

    There was a problem starting C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Bluetooth \btmshellex.dll. The specified module could not be found.

    I tried deleting and reinstalling the driver and using troubleshooting software (given by Microsoft) but the adapter still has the same device status. The adapter itself is fully functioning on other operating systems on my PC.

    My PC is custom-built, the motherboard is an ASROCK Z270 Killer SLI, which has the bluetooth adapter built into it. The driver for it is the Intel(R) Wireless Bluetooth(R) driver (version 19.41.0.1).

    Was this answer helpful?

    6 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments