Windows-10-update-KB4088776

Anonymous
2018-03-14T22:41:29+00:00

Windows-10-update-KB4088776, loads Version 1709, Build 16299.309; however, the same update downloads again and then fails over and over again. This is the same problem with the last update (build 16299.248. This occurs over and over creating a permanent loop. Please fix it.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Greg Carmack 24,780 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
2018-03-14T23:20:36+00:00

Hi Billy. I'm Greg, an installation specialist and 8 year Windows MVP, here to help you.

There's a lot of turmoil with Windows Updates right now.

If it is interfering or you don't want to wait then there is a new guided walk-through from Microsoft for repairing Windows Update that leads up to resetting components if necessary: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/10164/.... Try running that first.

You can try installing Updates manually from Microsoft Update catalog by searching for them here: http://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search....

If Updates cause problems you can find out which one by checking at Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update > Installed Update History and uninstall them there.

You can block Windows Updates and Version Updates: http://www.thewindowsclub.com/block-unwanted-wi...

You can also install this tool to tell you exactly your level of protection needed for the CPU threat that has lately caused some disruption, how it may affect performance, and what you can do about it: https://www.grc.com/inspectre.htm

You can get more control over Windows Updates with some new features in the last two versions at Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update under Restart Options and set Active Hours when you don't' want to be bothered.

As a last resort, you can set a Metered Connection or disable Windows Update service and only install the Version Updates twice a year when you are ready via the most stable method - which isn't Windows Update anyway, but by running it from Media Creation Tool or the media it creates: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/m.... All previous Updates are rolled up in the Version Update.

I hope this helps. Feel free to ask back any questions and let us know how it goes. I will keep working with you until it's resolved.

Was this answer helpful?

4 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Greg Carmack 24,780 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
2018-03-15T00:22:28+00:00

Hi Billy -

I appreciate what you're saying and hope you'll take a minute to express your opinion on this to Microsoft use the Feedback Hub app in Start Menu where developers are tasked to process consumer feedback. They will not even see it here. This is a tech forums staffed mostly by volunteers trying to help others with your problems.

I don't remember any of this turmoil during six years of smooth sailing in Forums with Windows 7 which was by comparison a delight. For far too many consumers this WIndows Updating is hostage taking and something will have to give.

That said, I also don't see many complaints from those running this Clean Install compiled based on what has worked best all along in Windows 10. So you might want to look it over to see if it's something that interests you. It is a better install than any amount of money can buy and a great learning experience that will make you the master of your PC because you will learn what works best and how to apply it with your own hands.

I hope this helps. Thanks for caring.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2018-03-20T13:09:30+00:00

    OK. I will try EA4 approach - although I did disable all my AV software before I tried this the last time i did not uninstall it. Like a lot of others I am stuck at 16299.125. The troubleshooter found nothing other than restart. I downloaded 4088776 from the catalog. Nothing worked. Will let you know. Thanks for all your efforts and sorry for your frustrations.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-03-20T03:46:33+00:00

    Hi All,

             Having blown my safety valve over obsolete images I took a few sips of my Hobgoblin and downloaded the KB4088776 Update directly and ran it.  I cannot believe that it has actually installed so I now have build 16299.309 installed!

             To get to this point I deleted all extra AV (Malwarebyte and SuperAnti bla bla), downloaded and ran  wu170509 .diagcab which is the Update Troubleshooter, and I do not know if it differs from the one in the Control Panel, an allowed it to do what it wanted. 

    Thank YOU for posting this. I did everything you did days ago EXCEPT uninstalling my extra AV. Maybe next time I'm bored and have time to waste, I'll go through the hassle of doing that just to make sure I won't suffer  the consequences of MS havoc-wreaking so called benefitial  updates. That said, I never had in XP, Vista or Windows 7, to disable, let alone remove AV, to successfully install a Windows update. Windows 10's gonna make me go mad then I'll go Mac.

    For the time being, I have  decided to disable the notifications from Windows 10 security center and to wait for the Spring Creators Update, since I don't have unlimited data.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-03-20T01:11:31+00:00

    Hi All,

             Having blown my safety valve over obsolete images I took a few sips of my Hobgoblin and downloaded the KB4088776 Update directly and ran it.  I cannot believe that it has actually installed so I now have build 16299.309 installed!

             To get to this point I deleted all extra AV (Malwarebyte and SuperAnti bla bla), downloaded and ran  wu170509 .diagcab which is the Update Troubleshooter, and I do not know if it differs from the one in the Control Panel, an allowed it to do what it wanted. 

             I did run SFC & DISM which did not show and problems, ran the Media Creation Tool's downloaded obsolete image and then the KB4088776 that I downloaded directly from the Update Catalogue.

    I WONDER WHAT JOYS WE WILL HAVE NEXT MONTH?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments