Windows 10 keeps changing my default programs

Anonymous
2017-07-17T19:36:54+00:00

Windows 10 keeps changing my default pdf program from Adobe Acrobat to Microsoft Edge. 

Please don't tell me to set my default program in control panel - I do that weekly.

Please don't tell me to do the "OpenWith" registry hack - I've done that, and it did work, until the next major Windows 10 update. Obviously, someone at Microsoft found out about that one.

I have also tried running another hack, that works for a while, but after a few days, I see that ANNOYING edge icon on my pdf files, and have to go back into control panel and change everything back.

It's really annoying, because, it's MY computer. I paid for it, and it included my O/S license - it is MY decision to use Adobe Acrobat for pdf files, not Microsoft's.

Please note that we also have a laptop where this issue NEVER occurs.

I know i'm not the only one out there where this still occurs even after setting the default and running the registry hack.

Moved from: (Windows / Windows 10 / Desktop, Start, & personalization)

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Settings

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

64 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2018-04-02T16:12:56+00:00

    To maintain the forum’s health, we would like to ask everybody to refrain from throwing negative comments at each other. To avoid further arguments, this thread will be locked from future replies.

    Was this answer helpful?

    6 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-03-26T00:48:12+00:00

    By the way...after you read my prior response let me stress once again that Microsoft is NOT trying to force you or anyone else to use their pdf reader.

    Adobe is perfectly acceptable.

    Hopefully you have downloaded it from https://get.adobe.com/reader/

    and not from any third party website.

    I use it constantly, as I said. I can't stand the Reader in Edge.

    My version of Windows?

    This one:  

    And as I said, I have never had an issue with Windows trying to change my program.

    So why don't all of you guys cut the Conspiracy Nonsense?

    Was this answer helpful?

    6 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-03-26T00:38:24+00:00

    Well, I'll tell you. I always open my pdf files with Adobe Acrobat and NOT with Edge.

    I don't much care for Edge's Reader, to be frank.

    And no update has ever attempted to change that.

    So I really doubt that your problem is with Microsoft.

    It may be an issue with the devices you are experiencing the problem on or it may be a problem with the Adobe Download itself.

    Were I you I would check the Manufacturer's website Support for similar issues or remove the Reader. Turn the device completely off. Wait a few seconds to clear the device and then restart.

    Go to the Adobe Website and redownload and reinstall the Reader making it the default reader for pdf files during the installation process.

    Let us know what happens.

    Was this answer helpful?

    6 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-03-26T23:32:57+00:00

    Your correct Dolly that pretty much says it all.

    Your choices are "Use MS app. or lets see "go to MS store and buy a MS app.  Why is there not a choice to use your own app?

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2018-03-26T16:11:23+00:00

    If that were the case it would be happening on everyone's computers (including mine) and it simply isn't. Your issues are mostly likely being caused by some of your Third Party Apps (or the way you are setting them up).

    If what you are referring to are the icons on each file may I suggest that you simply open the preferred program YOU wish to use and then open the file you want?)

    It will still access or play the pdf or media no matter what the icon looks like.

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments