Windows Defender Offline on Windows 7 machines DEFINITIONS OUT OF DATE

Anonymous
2017-05-31T08:59:20+00:00

Windows Defender Offline has stopped recognizing UPDATED Definitions on W7 machines,  Again.

Immediately after updating the Media USB, using the MSSSTOOL, attempts to boot from the USB fail,

indicating that the Definitions are out of date. On both 32bit and 64bit machines.

 This same failure occurred in 2016, on multitudes of W7 machines, between January and July.

Microsoft eventually fixed it by releasing a new version of the MSSSTOOL. 4.9.0221.0  (872kb).

The failure with WDO on W7 machines in 2016 began to occur shortly after problems showed up in

Windows Defender on W10 machines, and was probably the result of fixing the W10 machines.

We may now have the same thing occurring again. After the CREATOR update to W10, it appears they

are having problems with WDO.   And now WDO is broken for W7 machines.

MICROSOFT, if you have modified the configuration of the definitions or the WDO program data in an

effort to repair the problems in W10 machines, please release an updated version of the MSSSTOOL

that will allow W7 machines to accommodate those changes.    Thanks,  Glen

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Security and privacy

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2017-08-20T01:47:10+00:00

GREAT NEWS !

Windows Defender Offline is working once again on Windows 7 machines.

There has been a change made to the Windows Defender Offline Program.

It no longer updates definitions before running.

In order to take advantage of this FIX, it will be necessary to format your

USB before you run the mssstool. This will ensure that a fresh copy of the

Program is installed on the USB.

Don't know why we were not notified!  I just happened to discover this change,

while examining a WDO problem on Windows 10. There, it is possible track

the operation, using the Event Viewer. I couldn't believe my eyes.

Happy Scanning,  Glen

Was this answer helpful?

2 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

41 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2017-08-11T09:12:14+00:00

    Hi David,

    You are right, this problem is in Microsoft's court, and only they can fix it. We have no

    idea when or if they will.

    It appears that they have changed the WDO Program for the benefit of W10, and caused

    it to be incompatible with the W7 application. What you observed on your DELL that

    worked, reveals what they have changed. Instead of checking the viability of the defs on

    your Media USB, the WDO Program now just issues a download attempt to update the

    definitions, first thing. It doesn't matter if the defs on the USB are up to date or not. And

    the defs go directly into the loaded WDO Program, like W10. Unlike the W7 application.

    Most W7 machines cannot connect to the internet when booted to the Media USB.

    Not sure why, but probably missing necessary software on the USB. However, this quirk

    is not the primary cause of our problem. The change described above is.

    Just curious;  Does your DELL that works have a Pentium 4 processor?

    Here are a couple of substitutes for the WDO program that were offered in 2016, when

    a problem very similar to this occurred. They should be safe, but use at your own risk.

    http://support.kaspersky.com/us/viruses/rescuedisk

    http://www.bitdefender.com/support/how-to-create-a-bitdefender-rescue-cd-627.html

    Good Luck,  Glen

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-08-11T02:01:11+00:00

    August 10, 2017.  I have the same problem as most everyone else on here.  It worked on one Dell PC I tested it on, but then failed on another Dell.   On the first one, it stated that the files were out of date, but apparently updated them after stating at first that it could not connect to the internet.  I was then able to scan.  On the second PC, it failed exactly the same way, but did NOT update the virus signatures (and why would they even need to be updated again since I just went through that), thus I am stuck.   Thanks to everyone who posted.  Your posts were informative.

    I don't have months to wait for MS to fix this.  Is there software out there that can be trusted to work for a fee?  AVG?  I read nothing but bad things about AVG.  I checked into Webroot, but they said they don't make a bootable USB version., and I don't trust some of the websites for downloading A.V. software (that's asking for trouble).  The state of software quality has never been worse than it is today.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Rob Koch 26,175 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2017-08-06T06:06:49+00:00

    Glen,

    Yes, I understood most of what you'd discussed already, I just wasn't certain of the age of the systems involved, since it seemed to affect newer systems rather than older.

    I would suspect that any support for either Windows 7 or 8.1 will be delayed though, since nearly all resources have now shifted to Windows 10 and other more current products.  It was fairly clear from the notifications and layoffs over the last few years that all efforts were being placed into the future products at all levels, with the instantaneous removal of support for Windows Vista and others that recently reached end-of-life only reinforcing that trend.

    So though it's not clear to me either what the support policy for WDO might be, the simple fact that this product is now embedded within Windows 10 itself means that the standalone product is now another orphan without a home.  Many of those involved in the original development and support of such tools are now either gone or at least transferred within Microsoft to other teams, so those responsible for the current security products may not even be aware of how they were supported in the past.

    I had personally known the product manager who originally developed the alpha versions of both the WDO and Microsoft Safety Scanner tools, though he had moved to another product team shortly before the release of Windows 8, since there was no longer a need for his services to support Microsoft Security Essentials, as that was stable and being merged into Windows 8 Defender.

    So I wouldn't be holding my breath regarding legacy support for anything preceding Windows 10 and its related support products.

    Rob

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2017-08-05T23:40:54+00:00

    Rob,

    No, I don't think Skylake support has anything to do with this problem. It first came to

    my attention in May. That was before, even the original deadline for Skylake device

    support. I don't have any of those devices, but I can't determine if WDO is supported

    through the extended support period for W7 or not. There are conflicting statements.

    A problem with WDO on W7 occurred in 2016, first recognized in January, and not fixed

    until June 29th. It had the same symptom. "Definitions Out Of Date". And it occurred after

    activity regarding WDO in W10. Just as this one has occurred after W10 Creators update,

    which produced heavy activity regarding WDO problems in W10.

    Judging from that history, I suppose it may take a while before we see a fix. My query 

    was to determine if we should have any hope or not.

    Regards,  Glen

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments