Windows 10 - Defender Offline Scan not working

Anonymous
2017-02-27T09:04:07+00:00

Win Defender Offline Scan not starting, not rebooting, nothing happens (?)

Moved from  Windows

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Security and privacy

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

44 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2017-04-08T08:56:07+00:00

    If the steps on the thread provided previously did not help in resolving the issue, we'll need to further isolate it. Try starting your computer in Safe Mode with the steps here. This will help us identify if the issue is being caused by a setting or a basic device drivers.

    Let us know if the issue persists in safe mode.

    Thank you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    9 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-04-02T19:55:29+00:00

    Hi Angela,

    • "Have you made any changes to your computer prior to this issue?"

    Running Assassin creed 3 trainer, but I don`t use offline scan everyday - so it is hard to tell if it was that.

    • Do you have other antivirus or any third-party security software installed on your computer?

    Not now. I have used third party antivirus scan to get certain that I am secure (Kaspersky Security Scan)

    • Is Windows Defender working online?
    • Yes - it is working online

    I can grant You remote access to my PC to see what is wrong. It is the first thing I cant fix by my own since DOS 5.0

    Regards.

    Was this answer helpful?

    8 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-06-30T09:21:17+00:00

    The png picture you provided **is** the WDO scan.

    Once the scan is complete, the device restarts.

     - this scan, then restart is normal and unlike earlier Win10 1703 or earlier 1703 Insider Builds

    Actually, that is not true.

    Firstly, as I said, it worked before, showing me first that window, then the actual scan.

    Secondly, that window stays for about 2 minutes (if the subsequent scan fails, otherwise it's less ; I've been thinking it may have something to do with updating the definitions), while a WDO-scan of even a new computer with an almost empty harddisk takes some 5 minutes.

    Thirdly, acting on a suggestion from someone on another thread, I uninstalled the "2017-06 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1703 for x64-based Systems (KB4022716)" from June 28 I mentioned above, after which WDO worked normally again : first the window in the picture I provided, then the actual scan.

    I then reinstalled the update, expecting WDO to fail again afterwards (which it didn't), but the update that was 'reinstalled' was "KB4022725", which is the same number as a cumulative update installed on June 13, while "KB4022716" seems to remain uninstalled.  WDO is now again working normally as before.

    It is not my intention to antagonize you (or anyone, for that matter), but is it not a bit hazardous to say "[that] **is** the WDO scan", especially towards less experencied users who then think they are safely running a scan and their system is clean, while there actually is no scan being performed ?

    Kind regards,

    John.

    Edit : for clarity, when WDO works normally, this is the window I first get :

    https://www.groovypost.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/WDO-Launching.png

    After about 30 seconds, this disappears and the scan window appears, looking something like this :

    https://alssl.askleomedia.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/wdo-running.png

    where I can click on the Update tab, minimize, maximize, ...

    Was this answer helpful?

    6 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2017-04-01T20:12:41+00:00

    Did not helped. Any thoughts?

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2017-04-04T23:59:29+00:00

    If you haven't tried doing this yet, check the Windows Defender History to check for any malware as what Cyber_Defend_Team suggested on this thread.

    Update us on the status of the issue.

    Thank you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments