Zune Marketplace, RIP

Anonymous
2016-04-28T08:12:22+00:00

Officially, we all heard that the Zune Marketplace, and the grandfathered Zune Pass, was going to be shut down many months ago. Of course, those of us who were fans of the service weren't happy. Well, whether out of incompetence or benevolence (I'm hoping it was the latter), at least on my end, both of these lasted significantly longer. I was still getting my free 10 mp3's as late as January. Sadly, I was only able to redeem 7 of those 10 credits before it mysteriously stopped working, but it was in time to the get the last David Bowie album, so I'm not complaining. Still, the Zune Marketplace, reduced to merely its function of providing DRM-protected content you could sync with your Zune, still worked. And worked. And worked. I was beginning to think that perhaps the better angels of Microsoft's conscience prevailed, and those of us with Zune Pass, err, Xbox, err, Groove Passes would still be able to download unlimited content for our PC's and Zune devices. Tonight, April 27, 2016, that officially ended.

My Zune software had what I thought was a glitch. It shut down, and I was offered the choice of getting it debugged. But when I restarted the software, I noticed two changes. First, when you right click artists or albums, you no longer have the option of being taken to where that content is on the Zune Marketplace. Instead, it says (for example), "More about the Flaming Lips ONLINE." Clicking those links just brings you to the Groove homepage, and an offer to sign up. It doesn't matter what artist or album: every time, the link is to the Groove homepage, even if you're signed in, nothing specific to those artists.

And the worst of all: just like the Zune Social, the Zune Marketplace text at the top of the software is gone. Your options are now limited to Quickplay, Collection, and Device. Now, I still have a lot of stuff I've downloaded from the Marketplace on my PC and in my Zune device. I don't know what will happen with that. It still plays for now, I'm noticing. Though as a test, I tried to see if one track that hadn't been synced would still do so. No... A message about needing to check usage rights, and to sign on with a Zune Music Pass. When you right click on Zune Pass content, the DRM now says... "Unknown," when it used to offer more specifics about being usable for at least another month. We'll see what happens with what's still on the device. At the very least, as of now, all Zune Marketplace DRM-protected downloads still play in the software.

So... I'm disappointed to see the Zune Marketplace go. I have nothing against Groove... I've played around with it, both on my PC and my phone, but I don't think it's quite for me. The whole point of having music stored locally was that I wouldn't need to remained tethered to a network at all times. Plus, the best thing about the Zune player was its ability to shuffle. A lot of my music isn't available in Groove, so even with a shuffle function on Groove, I'd have to exclude a lot from my collection. I have some time to decide, I suppose. In any event, I suppose I'm lucky that I've been able to get this much functionality out of Zune, years after its death was declared. Even if it's now just a media player, that's fine, because it means I can listen to my massive music collection and podcasts without having to worry about dataplans and cellular access. As for the Zune Marketplace, it's been great having you. Checking out new music will be trickier now.

Windows for home | Other | Apps

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

49 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2016-05-01T19:09:50+00:00

    But can you still download for offline playback with groove music pass because that's what i used. Someone needs to find a way to still sync with zune!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-04-30T07:22:31+00:00

    Yes, absolutely. You can buy music directly through the "Microsoft Store," or through the Groove player. It used to be that you had to do it on a Windows 8.1 or higher PC or a Windows Phone, but I think you can do it through the regular Groove website or even the Microsoft Store itself. I think the option is labeled something like "keep for offline payback." You're essentially just directly buying the mp3's. But I suppose you do get the advantage that if you have a Windows Phone, it's automatically going to sync up, and you won't have to reconstruct playlists you may already be using. Otherwise, it's no different than buying mp3's through Amazon or eMusic or Google Music, or... dare I say it... m4a's through iTunes. I only use that last option if a piece of music is literally available nowhere else, because, interestingly, even Apple fanboys will typically admit now that the iTunes software is a bloated piece of garbage. The nice thing about Amazon, eMusic, Google Music, and yes, the Microsoft Store, is that you don't have use to a buggy, bloated piece of software to download your purchase.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-04-30T03:24:43+00:00

    this is really lame... I've used zunes forever and now I won't be able to sync new music? Does the groove software offer to download for offline playback or to sync to windows phone?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-04-29T23:45:01+00:00

    Paul,

    That sounds very crafty of you. I remember when the end of the Zune Social was announced, and the software modified to kill it. There were still some backdoors to the Zune Social that you could still use for months to see your playlists, keep up with friends, that kind of thing. Gradually, it looked like the playcounts weren't being tabulated, and finally, those backdoors were either plugged or the Zune Social architecture on their servers was just killed off.

    In this instance, I have a speculation. It's possible that whatever server architecture supplies the Marketplace has been simply turned off. That would mean that the software simply has nothing to connect to. As one piece of evidence, I've noticed that the Zune Social Tagger, which I sometimes still use to get metadata and such right on new mp3's I've purchased from eMusic or ripped from CD's, is now giving me a message saying that the Zune Marketplace isn't available in my region (which it identifies as "en-US.") So it's very likely that the software's Marketplace component is tied to the existence of the Marketplace. And it may be written into the internal code that if a certain signal is received (or not received), that component of the software simply goes dormant. FWIW, I don't think the Zune Marketplace was ever available in China, and yet I was still able to use it there both in 2008 and in 2013-15. I suspect it's because my login ID was identified as American.

    Well, so far, and my existing Zune Pass content is still playing. Aside from not being able to download anything new, the only other change is that if I haven't already synced it to my device, it won't do so now. Anything already on my Zune is fine. So I'm just limited to what I happened to grab before the shut down. It is odd... Normally, with technology, services improve and expand functionality. In this instance, it feels like Microsoft is moving backwards by gradually killing off Zune services. I know it's because they want to nudge everyone onto the Groove platform, but Jesus, streaming doesn't work for a good number of us. If it did, we would have switched on our own ages ago. There are good reasons we've stuck with this as long as we have.

    Still, I'm not angry. Annoyed, yes, definitely. Disappointed, sure. All I can figure is, Microsoft must have run into a hard financial reality here. If it were profitable to keep the Zune Marketplace going, there's no reason for them to have not done so. But with no new customers, and their existing ZM customer base shrinking as people move on to other platforms, I have to imagine that the costs of keeping ZM going must have gradually outpaced whatever money they were making off it. It may have also had to do with licensing from the record companies, too, since that also isn't cheap. I'm also looking at the glass half full - I think we heard of Zune being killed off as early as what, 2010? 2011? Here it is, 2016, and it's only now that this last vestige of their support for the platform was finally terminated. I think my first Zune device was purchased in 2006 or 2007. These days, that's a pretty respectable lifespan for any software or technology.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2016-04-29T22:33:48+00:00

    I too am very unhappy with this. I went in and canceled my music pass because it's just not able to do the same thing as the Zune software and Marketplace. I liked it much better when we could download the files to our computers. I hate the new Groove Music!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments