Windows 10: Disable automatic connection of a wireless network

Anonymous
2016-03-01T00:23:10+00:00

I have a number of available networks in my area but I wish to connect automatically only to my secured Home network. The problem is that one of the unsecured building networks is checked to connect automatically. I have tried to uncheck the box but it always comes back as "connect automatically". I keep getting hundreds of notifications that "UD Tower Network requires attention"  that are making me slightly insane. How do I turn off the connect automatically button for this network? WIndows 10, 64 bit

Original Title: Connect Automatically Network

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Internet and connectivity

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2016-03-01T05:47:25+00:00

Hello Fred,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused with Windows 10.

You may follow the below steps to turn off the “connect automatically” option.

  1. Press Windows key + A to open action center and click on All Settings.
  2. Now select Network and Internet.
  3. In the left panel, select Wi-Fi.
  4. Now in the right panel, select the option Change Adapter Options.
  5. The Change Adapter Options will open the Network Connections. You will find the network connection to which your computer or tablet is connected.
  6. Double click on the wireless connection to open the Wi-Fi status. Go to Wireless Properties.
  7. Under Connection tab, find out “Connect automatically when this network is in range“. By default it is enabled. To disable it, uncheck the option and tap ok.

Hope the information helps, do reply if you need further assistance.

Thank you.

Was this answer helpful?

20+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

51 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2019-09-14T02:50:52+00:00

    THANK YOU!!! Thank you for the easy to follow instruction in human terms

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2019-05-18T02:55:57+00:00

    I'm having the same issue. Has anyone found a way to fix this?

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2019-05-05T13:59:42+00:00

    The problem is not that it's automatically connecting to my own wifi.

    I've set my internet and network settings to connect to my wifi automatically. So that part is working as designed.

    The problem is that when I view the wireless connections, it shows ALL secured wireless connections in my area are set up to 'connect automatically' --- even though my settings suggest that I should only be connecting to my wifi.

    Here is an example: (I have no idea who this is, yet it's set to 'connect automatically):

    When I uncheck this wifi connection, it will re-check it within a moment, automatically.

    How do we stop this? If we unselect an unwanted connection, it should remain unselected!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-05-04T18:28:02+00:00

    Hi,

    Thanks for the update and response.

    For better information I suggest you to refer the article on Manage wireless network profiles and check if it helps.

    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-8/manage-wireless-network-profiles

    (Also applies to Windows 10)

    Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments