High CPU and memory usage when use Flash Player and images-heavy sites in all browsers or when I download files

Anonymous
2016-05-29T10:02:19+00:00

Hello! From long ago I have issues with high CPU and memory usage when use Flash Player and images-heavy sites or when I download files. The issues happen in Mozilla, Opera, Opera Beta and Chrome. Also when I use fractals rendering software. CPU usage becomes as high that my PC start sounding like a helicopter. Here are some sites I cannot use for that reason (digital design related):

https://www.sumopaint.com/home/#app

http://weavesilk.com/

And this TV site:

http://www.hotstar.com/tv/diya-aur-baati-hum/81/episodes/81/9993

Even if I chose an interactive theme/appearance in Opera Beta (like Star Wars) CPU usage goes wild because Flash Player .

I asked some buddies and they don't have such issues with Sumo and Silk. I checked my anti-vir and it doesn't block anything Adobe or image related. My firewall doesn't block anything too. I posted my question in Adobe Community too (because Flash Player) but still got no reply.

My graphic driver is up to date. Pagefile size is also ok, set min and max to 1.5x of the RAM.

My Hardware and Environment details:

Windows 8.1 (upgraded from Windows 8)

RAM: 4 GB (3.88 Usable)

Intel Celeron CPU G540 2.50 GHz

64-bit OS, x64-based processor

I can't attach my DxDiag.txt file and I'm not sure if it is safe to paste it's content here due to publicly of my post.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2016-06-03T14:39:17+00:00

Hello,

Thank you for updating on the issue.

Did you try upgrading to Windows 10 after running DISM commands successfully?

You may also create Windows 10 installation media using this link and then try to upgrade to Windows 10.

Refer:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

I hope this information helps.

Thank you

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

41 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2016-05-30T12:54:07+00:00

    Isn't this a bit risky? I don't have installations disc, my Win was just activated after the purchase of the PC. If something goes wrong I couldn't cope with that. Is there a way I to troubleshoot the PC for conflicting programs/services without a clean reboot? I remember before time I have issue with constantly wanting product activation and here in the site I found a tip how to check for conflicting software. That time it occurred my UPS installation (via USB) conflicted with some sound service. Unfortunately I didn't remember how I checked that, the only memory I have it was through command prompt.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-05-30T10:43:27+00:00

    Hello,

    Thank you for your response.

    I appreciate your time.

    I would suggest you to perform clean boot and check if it helps.

    Refer this article:

    How to perform a clean boot in Windows

    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

    Clean boot is performed to start Windows by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This helps eliminate software conflicts that occur when you install a program or an update or when you run a program.

    Note: After you have finished troubleshooting, follow these steps from section “How to reset the computer to start as usual after clean boot troubleshooting” to reset the computer to start as usual.

    Please keep us updated.

    Thank you

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-05-30T10:32:25+00:00

    Hello, thank you for the reply!

    I never made hardware changes as my PC was in service period and I paid in installments. I have two external HDs and 2 flash drives always attached to PC.

    The software change I made was the upgrade from 8 to 8.1. I did some updates later. But I noticed when updates are turned on this causes my PC often not to start on boot. I turned off the automatic updates and started updating manually. Later while updating manually the downloading froze almost every time and I gave up and probably didn't update from over an year and half.

    I didn't check in IE because I totally avoid using it. I had redirecting issues and because of that I made Mozilla my main browser.

    All browsers are up to date, set to automatic updates, excluding Mozilla because its latest updates had malware detection (I have 96 add-ons and most likely some of them might caused that). Mozilla plugins are up to date too, as well as Flash Player and Java.

    I dig deep in Mozilla knowledge base and did everything described. I also set custom size of cache. At first I thought it is only Mozilla issue and disabled some add-ons. But when checked in Opera, Opera beta and Chrome I faced same again.

    Some'd say AVG Free is the problem because Link Checker, I disabled it yesterday but not much difference. People I know in real life keen to think AVG Free is heavy and might cause issues in general.

    Do you think that non-updating OS may be the main problem?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-05-30T03:38:26+00:00

    Hello,

    I would like to know some information about the issue so that we could help you better.

    1. Did you make any hardware or software changes to your computer prior to the issue?
    2. Does the issue occur in Internet explorer?

    I appreciate you for providing details about the issue and your efforts towards resolving it.

    I also realize the inconvenience you are experiencing due to high CPU usage issue. I will certainly help you.

    This issue may occur if the browser or flash player is out of date or corrupt browser add-ons.

    I would suggest you to update all browsers including Mozilla Firefox, Opera and Google Chrome. Please also install latest version of Flash player.

    Refer these links:

    https://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

    http://www.opera.com/download

    https://www.google.com/chrome/browser/

    Please also use steps provided in this article and check.

    Refer:

    Firefox uses too many CPU resources - How to fix

    https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/firefox-uses-too-many-cpu-resources-how-fix

    Please also install latest available Windows updates and check the issue.

    Refer:

    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/windows-update-faq

    I hope this information helps.

    Please reply with required information and do let us know if you need any further assistance.

    Thank you

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments