Definition Update for Windows Defender - KB2267602 (Definition 1.213.5087.0) - Error 0x80070643

Anonymous
2016-02-01T12:45:02+00:00

For weeks now keep getting the message:

"Definition Update for Windows Defender - KB2267602 (Definition 1.213.5087.0) - Error 0x80070643"

While the computer seems to run ok, in the mean time I cannot update windows 10...

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Security and privacy

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

51 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2016-03-21T19:30:45+00:00

    For weeks now keep getting the message:

    "Definition Update for Windows Defender - KB2267602 (Definition 1.213.5087.0) - Error 0x80070643"

    While the computer seems to run ok, in the mean time I cannot update windows 10...

    Yes, ME TOO!!!  I have NIS and it takes over the role of win def.  Like everything else with windows and ms in general:  THIS IS OUR OS AND IF YOU HAVE ANY TROUBLE WITH OUR DS TECHS---T. S.!!  It would be easy for them to allow US, THE DUMB F!!!!!!'S THAT KEEP MS "ALIVE" AND "EMPLOYED" AND MILLIONAIRES, TO SIMPLY "HIDE THE G D UPDATE----BUTT---NO......let's act like "idiots" and "ignore " the SIMPLE WAY TO CORRECT THIS DUMB **** PROBLEM!!! 

    So now we will ALL HOLD OUR BREATH(NOT) FOR A "SOLUTION" RATHER THAN A BS, NON-PROBLEM-SOLVING REPLY!!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    6 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-03-16T13:05:28+00:00

    I don’t care about the Defender updates; I am running Norton. The problem is that the Defender update is blocking all the other updates. So far I have to run the update troubleshooter every day and then check for updates, this works but it is not an optimal solution.

    Was this answer helpful?

    6 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-04-23T18:23:09+00:00

    As an alternative and even though Windows Defender is off, you can manually download the latest windows defender definitions here:

    https://www.microsoft.com/security/portal/definitions/adl.aspx

    Scroll down, midway through the page, select your OS and system architecture and download the file.  It is an *.exe file, run it as an administrator. You won't see it "do" anything but it will install current definitions with defender. Reboot. On the most stubborn systems where the error persists, despite the above method,  I've seen this solve the issue.

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-03-20T16:48:06+00:00

    I also solved the problem by doing the following

    1. Remove Norton AV using the Norton AV Removal tool
    2. reboot
    3. Turn on windows defender and run updates
    4. reboot
    5. TURN OFF windows defender
    6. Re-install Norton AV
    7. reboot
    8. Run Updates again and should have no issues

    I reboot to ensure things are all set before I move on

    I found that if you did not update with defender ON, then the issue returns, and if you install Norton with defender ON the issues comes back as well. You must be sure defender is OFF before installing Norton again..

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2016-02-06T06:19:33+00:00

    I had the same issue running AVG virus protection. I had to completely uninstall AVG and restart in order to turn on my Defender.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments