Do you think they will go really public on this ?
I think many sysops wondered what happened, and burned some hours before they realized it was harmless...
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
These details of "Important" update, which I received this morning - 4:30 AM MT. Copied to Notepad:
(appears to be a language pack? 4.3 MB)
______________________________________________________
gYxseNjwafVPfgsoHnzLblmmAxZUiOnGcchqEAEwjyxwjUIfpXfJQcdLapTmFaqHGCFsdvpLarmPJLOZYMEILGNIPwNOgEazuBVJcyVjBRL
Download size: 4.3 MB
You may need to restart your computer for this update to take effect.
Update type: Important
qQMphgyOoFUxFLfNprOUQpHS
More information:
https://hckSLpGtvi.PguhWDz.fuVOl.gov
https://jNt.JFnFA.Jigf.xnzMQAFnZ.edu
Help and Support:
https://IIKaR.ktBDARxd.plepVV.PGetGeG.lfIYQIHCN.mil
________________________________________________________________________
Did NOT install. After my MSE definitions updated, I repeated Windows Update. The above 'important' update did not reappear???
Did MS servers get compromised?
Thank you
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
Do you think they will go really public on this ?
I think many sysops wondered what happened, and burned some hours before they realized it was harmless...
I received the same file yesterday afternoon via Windows Update, but didn't download/install it. It was still showing in Windows Update this morning so I checked for updates (in a hope it might disappear!). I am now getting a message saying:
"Windows could not search for new updates
An error occurred whilst checking for new updates for your computer
Error(s) found:
Code 80244019 Windows Update encountered an unknown error."
When I check the error code it suggests there may be a virus and to start the computer in Safe Mode, then run a virus check.
Has Microsoft issued a response to this problem yet? I can't see anything online.
...or was this just a 'proof of concept' issue...
😨
I had the same thing downloaded yesterday. Didn't effect my Vaio Laptop till this morning when I went to use it. Blank screen and no harddrive activity. I removed the memory held the on / off button for 20 seconds and then rebooted and it came alive again. It must have upset something on my computer. This is what a copied below. OK for Microsoft to say its a mistake, it caused a fault on my laptop! Perhaps some people would have to take theirs to a repair technician to diagnose the problem which would cost them.
gYxseNjwafVPfgsoHnzLblmmAxZUiOnGcchqEAEwjyxwjUIfpXfJQcdLapTmFaqHGCFsdvpLarmPJLOZYMEILGNIPwNOgEazuBVJcyVjBRL
Installation date: 01/10/2015 12:03
Installation status: Failed
Error details: Code 8024600A
Update type: Important
qQMphgyOoFUxFLfNprOUQpHS
More information:
https://hckSLpGtvi.PguhWDz.fuVOl.gov
https://jNt.JFnFA.Jigf.xnzMQAFnZ.edu
Help and Support:
I had this update show up, but I hid it, and then it went away when I searched for updates again.
JG