I was about to throw my 950 away a few weeks ago and then i stumbled on the "Windows Device Recovery Tool." Just google it as I forgot the link. Download it to your PC and then run the exe file. It will then ask you to plug in your phone and then it will resinstall Windows for you. I had to give it about three tries because it kept erroring out, but on about the third try it worked and no problems with the phone ever since.
Lumia 950 won't turn on
After nearly two weeks my phone turned off with roughly 30% battery and it doesn't turn back on,recovery tool doesn't recognize it and when i plug it in to my pc or when i plug the charger nothing happens but it vibrates shortly every minute or so the whole time it's plugged in,is there any way i can get it back to life ? Thanks.
Windows for home | Other | Devices and drivers
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
47 answers
Sort by: Most helpful
-
Anonymous
2017-08-09T05:12:25+00:00 -
Anonymous
2017-07-27T08:53:15+00:00 This issue has now gone over 3 pages long and there's no longer replies form Microsoft since last year.
What is going on? I think we need a better answer than "have you tired turning it off and on again"!
My 950 XL just turned itself off today and is behaving in the same manner, it won't turn on, when in charge (multiple outlets, tried form PC, even the car, nothing) it just vibrates every 30 seconds or so and remains dead.
Surely the phone vibrating every 30 seconds is a sign of something? Can you give us an honest answer?
Do I bother trying to buy a new battery?
What a mess!
-
Anonymous
2017-06-12T03:20:43+00:00 This just happened to me today and it seems Microsoft is to blame...
If you are part of the insider program and this happens to you... they pretty much say "Our fault. Oops sorry". Only way to fix it is via an OS reinstall. Some people have said they tried doing that but because the phone can't boot it just tells them "Device not found". Well I just kept clicking on "Try again" until it did. As absolutely everyone knows, the whole reason why booting takes as long as it does is because it is busy loading the stuff it needs to run the OS... I just assumed that if this fix that Microsoft claims will work is going to work then at some point during this boot loop it must reach a point where the app can do it's thing and for me it didn't even take one full loop before the app picked up my device, installed the Os and took me to the setup screen...
2 hours to download the OS and 5 minutes to install it... still busy setting it up... ughghghg...
My problem is slightly different but I think related to either the unintentional software update mentioned above or the battery issue mentioned earlier in this thread. We haven't powered off the phone for months and last night I power cycled it. Unlike the symptom of seeing the exclamation mark or the windows logo temporarily appear my screen is totally blank. It vibrates when I push the power button.
I have tried every key combination and the recovery tool which connected to the phone and successfully did what it needed to do but the device is not detected after the recovery tool. Then it appears in the devices and printers window on my PC just not in explorer. Tried everything on this thread (paper in the battery compartment, wall charger, PC connection charging and even inductive charging.
My phone is alive as the PC sees it in devices and printers window on my PC! The recovery tool sees it also. At one point during the recovery tool process I think the screen flashed briefly.
This is infuriating.
Has anyone got any other suggestions?
[UPDATE] If your phone is in the warranty period there is a route to get support
https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/contactus/?ws=mscom
Enter the issue once you hit the "get started" button then choose mobile device from the drop down list. You will be taken to an external company support page where you enter your phones IMEI and your details. Then choose a contact option e.g. online chat. I am trying on a public holiday so will probably have to wait till a work day as am getting no response.
[UPDATE 2] The online chat didn't help. They referred me to log a repair online for the local repair centre. Now logged and will post the phone off on Tuesday
-
Anonymous
2017-06-02T21:23:49+00:00 This just happened to me today and it seems Microsoft is to blame...
If you are part of the insider program and this happens to you... they pretty much say "Our fault. Oops sorry". Only way to fix it is via an OS reinstall. Some people have said they tried doing that but because the phone can't boot it just tells them "Device not found". Well I just kept clicking on "Try again" until it did. As absolutely everyone knows, the whole reason why booting takes as long as it does is because it is busy loading the stuff it needs to run the OS... I just assumed that if this fix that Microsoft claims will work is going to work then at some point during this boot loop it must reach a point where the app can do it's thing and for me it didn't even take one full loop before the app picked up my device, installed the Os and took me to the setup screen...
2 hours to download the OS and 5 minutes to install it... still busy setting it up... ughghghg...
-
Anonymous
2017-06-02T18:20:36+00:00 I don't doubt that Mikaere's solution worked, but there is about to be a wave of people (including me) that are showing the exact same symptoms and they have nothing to do with the battery.
Apparently MS has screwed up and released an internal build of WM10 to people's phones. You can read more about it here. The result is that you get stuck in a boot loop - the phone boots to the Microsoft logo, hangs there, vibrates, restarts, hangs again ad infinitum. The only solution so far is to reset your phone using the Windows Device Recovery Tool.
I'm dealing with this now - it's basically nuked four hours of productivity for me. Quite how MS is going to give me back that time I don't know. Good luck if you're in the same boat. Sucks to be us.