Whenever I use the open/save dialog, the application freezes and I have to terminate it

Anonymous
2014-12-13T03:13:22+00:00

I've researched this for a month before posting this. I have tried all solutions and I'm still having this problem.

Half the time when I do something with an application that brings up the Explorer dialog such as Open, Save, Save As etc. the application freezes and I have no choice but to terminate it. This happened most frequently with a video editor I used, sometimes after spending an hour editing the video all my progress is lost because I had to terminate the frozen app. This happens with Firefox, this happens with just about every app that summons the Open/Save Explorer dialog.

So far I have tried:

Using a different/default theme since I use a custom one. This appeared to solve the problem for the first few minutes as my video editor stopped freezing when clicking Open or Save video file. But then it froze on the 5th instance or so.

Deleting the ComDlg32 registry key. Sometimes this helps temporarily, sometimes it doesn't. Clearly useless.

Verifying my comdlg32.dll was not corrupt (sfc /scannow). It wasn't corrupt.

Unchecking "Launch folder windows in a separate process" in Folder Options in the Control Panel. This helped the most. Now the explorer dialog freezes only 10% of the time instead of 50%. But obviously the problem still persists so my question is WHY?

I've run into numerous problems as I upgraded to Windows 7 from XP. Not to say I never had issues on XP but at least basic things like this functioned. Basic usability is a frequent problem now since I upgraded with all kinds of random instances of design backwardsness as if I've downgraded.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2015-03-13T00:00:24+00:00

    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows\_7-winapps/whenever-i-use-the-opensave-dialog-the-application/d6452ec3-6e48-4cc9-8f64-aa597844198d This is the original thread, every application freezes once I click "Open" or "Save As", anything that brings up that dialog and then I have to terminate it.

    I have included a Process Monitor log of one application that freezes when I click Open, it is a program that splits excel documents called Excel 65536 split.exe.

    Can someone take a look at this log and tell me what's happening and how I can fix this?

    https://www.sendspace.com/file/m1b45c

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-01-28T23:21:39+00:00

    I am using Avira free Antivirus to the best of my knowledge, because I don't remember a paid version or downloading a pirated version from anywhere but the official site. But right now I have uninstalled Avira for an unrelated reason and the problem persists.

    I will post details of sfc /scannow later. Thanks.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-01-03T15:46:28+00:00

    press windows key

    type cmd

    on cmd right click

    click on open as administrator

    type sfc/scannow

    send the details of the screen.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-01-03T15:38:27+00:00

    "Could you please let me know, does this problem occur for all locations or certain locations when you use save or open dialogue?"

    It happened on numerous locations, some that had many types of files, some that had nothing in the folder at all. So I'm guessing the location doesn't matter.

    "what type of files do you have in the location where you want to save something or open ? (in the dialogue box for save or open what is your location? (e.g. is it desktop or a folder and what do you have in it?)"

    Firefox saves on the desktop by default which has all kinds of files on it. Another browser I have saves in Admin/Downloads folder that has nothing in it. My video editor saves to a data HDD with all kinds of files in it. Notepad saves to the Admin directory. All these have crashed one time or another.

    "Does this problem occur for all applications or only one application like Microsoft Word?"

    I would say all applications. This happened with browsers, video editors and even Notepad. I haven't seen it happen with MSWord yet but if it can happen with Notepad, why would MS Word be safe?

    "What are your security software? like antivirus, firewall and please also let me know what are your start up programs. "

    Avira antivirus and Comodo firewall. I tried uninstalling Comodo thinking it was the problem once but it wasn't. I have numerous startup programs but I already tried a clean boot and the open/save freeze problem still occured.

    I read your guidelines and have already tried much of what you suggested. It is not because of disk hangups. If that were true, this would happen on another user account while the other user account is still running and it didn't.

    Hi,

    OK, I think, I might know what is causing this, it is worth a try.

    I am not 100% sure but I think you better change your anti virus. Your Firewall is a very good one and keep it. Your anti virus is also very good but it also has firewall built in. If you want to keep it then you have make sure the Firewall for both Avira and Windows are OFF. I would personally switch to Avast FREE Antivirus. I am suggesting this because Avira take loads of resources by having that Firewall built in.

    Other thing is to run your computer with clean boot for few weeks and maintain it properly. (Avoid having too many start up programs, e.g. I only have Comodo Internet Security and Rapport )

    Move all the files from Desktop to another location. Saving lots of files on Desktop tends to slow down your system.

    Hope above helps.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2015-01-02T06:51:00+00:00

    "Could you please let me know, does this problem occur for all locations or certain locations when you use save or open dialogue?"

    It happened on numerous locations, some that had many types of files, some that had nothing in the folder at all. So I'm guessing the location doesn't matter.

    "what type of files do you have in the location where you want to save something or open ? (in the dialogue box for save or open what is your location? (e.g. is it desktop or a folder and what do you have in it?)"

    Firefox saves on the desktop by default which has all kinds of files on it. Another browser I have saves in Admin/Downloads folder that has nothing in it. My video editor saves to a data HDD with all kinds of files in it. Notepad saves to the Admin directory. All these have crashed one time or another.

    "Does this problem occur for all applications or only one application like Microsoft Word?"

    I would say all applications. This happened with browsers, video editors and even Notepad. I haven't seen it happen with MSWord yet but if it can happen with Notepad, why would MS Word be safe?

    "What are your security software? like antivirus, firewall and please also let me know what are your start up programs. "

    Avira antivirus and Comodo firewall. I tried uninstalling Comodo thinking it was the problem once but it wasn't. I have numerous startup programs but I already tried a clean boot and the open/save freeze problem still occured.

    I read your guidelines and have already tried much of what you suggested. It is not because of disk hangups. If that were true, this would happen on another user account while the other user account is still running and it didn't.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments