Questions about sent mails and sent items.

Anonymous
2014-10-07T23:02:52+00:00

I am using Windows 8.1. I cannot figure out the difference between Sent Items and Sent Mail. When I send an email sometimes it ends up in Sent Items and sometimes it ends up in Sent Mail. What is the difference? This is very confusing! Thanks.

Windows for home | Other | Email and communications

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Brian Tillman [Outlook MVP 2007-2019] 25,925 Reputation points
2014-10-11T02:16:53+00:00

The SentMail folder is one being supplied by your mail server.  I suspect you are using an IMAP account.  It doesn't appear you are using Outlook.com for your mail service.  Thus, your post is off-topic for the Outlook.com forum.  I have moved it to the Windows Live Mail forum on "Files, Folders, and Online Storage" where it is on-topic.

Right-click the account in the folder pane and choose Properties.  On the IMAP tab you can control the mapping of folders so that WLM will use the correct folder for saving the sent messages.

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

45 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2014-10-19T23:51:42+00:00

    ... this is a free forum, ...

    Yes, but it has rules nevertheless. They're laid out in the Getting started and FAQ pages. It's made quite clear - if you find an unanswered question that's identical to yours, click Me too and wait to be notified when the answer does turn up. If your question isn't identical, start your own thread. It's just far too confusing to try and deal with apparently similar but in fact quite different problems in one thread.

    Throw-in the "new" IMAP,

    IMAP is hardly new - it was invented in 1986, and its current version (IMAP4) dates from 1992.

    Some of the answers on the thread are not "low enough", ... An example: "...You may be able to specify which of your account folders are available for synchronization over IMAP ... There are a great number of settings for IMAP accounts, and some of them will vary with the IMAP server involved..."  I ask, ... How?

    And I asked you to *please start your own thread and give details of the email service provider involved, the version of Windows Live Mail and the operating system.*Every IMAP implementation is different, so we have to know which one you're using to be able to make suggestions to achieve some of your aims.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments