Questions about sent mails and sent items.

Anonymous
2014-10-07T23:02:52+00:00

I am using Windows 8.1. I cannot figure out the difference between Sent Items and Sent Mail. When I send an email sometimes it ends up in Sent Items and sometimes it ends up in Sent Mail. What is the difference? This is very confusing! Thanks.

Windows for home | Other | Email and communications

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Brian Tillman [Outlook MVP 2007-2019] 25,925 Reputation points
2014-10-11T02:16:53+00:00

The SentMail folder is one being supplied by your mail server.  I suspect you are using an IMAP account.  It doesn't appear you are using Outlook.com for your mail service.  Thus, your post is off-topic for the Outlook.com forum.  I have moved it to the Windows Live Mail forum on "Files, Folders, and Online Storage" where it is on-topic.

Right-click the account in the folder pane and choose Properties.  On the IMAP tab you can control the mapping of folders so that WLM will use the correct folder for saving the sent messages.

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

45 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2014-10-11T13:28:23+00:00

    Oh dear. I have no idea what you are advising. Not even sure what you mean by "webmail." I just know that I have Windows Live Mail and charter.net mail. And I prefer to use Windows Live Mail even though I have lots of problems with it (maybe because of charter, maybe because of Windows 8.1, maybe because I have a new laptop....who knows).  But charter.net seems to control everything, so I am constantly going back and forth between the two mail systems. I can only send emails when I am away from home in charter.net. I can only clear out my mailbox on the server from charter.net, so I cannot simply use Windows Live Mail to do everything. And it is driving me crazy.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-10-11T12:46:47+00:00

    Thank you. I think I just figured out the difference. When I send an email in charter.net (which is my internet carrier.....I have to use their email and not window live mail when I am away from home, or when my emails make it to live mail with only the header downloading), THAT email ends up in the SENT MAIL folder. When I send the email in window live mail, it ends up in the SENT ITEMS folder. It's crazy making. I don't know which I hate more, the charter.net email service or windows live mail!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-10-09T12:14:44+00:00

    Windows Live Mail. Thanks.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-10-08T15:04:13+00:00

    Hi Lynne,

    Are you referring to outlook.com or the mail configured in Mail app or the Outlook client installed on the computer?

    In order to get a better picture of the issue in hand I would request you to provide a screenshot of the issue.

    **How to include a screenshot in your post - Microsoft Community**   

    If you need any further assistance with Windows Operating System, please post your query on Microsoft Community Forums and we’ll be glad to assist you with it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments