Problems opening/deleting .MOV files in Windows 8.1

Anonymous
2014-11-16T17:25:53+00:00

When I attempt to open some .MOV files instead of starting up Apple QuickTime Player (which is set as default program for this file type) 10 to 15 seconds Windows closes the folder containing the .MOV file without any explanation. Further attempts result in the same outcome. If I right-click and Delete the .MOV file quickly within a few seconds of opening the folder, Windows does remove it to the Recycle Bin. However, when I then try to Empty the Recycle Bin, Windows suddenly closes it without any explanation. Re-opening the Recycle Bin shows that the .MOV file is still listed. Attempting to Delete it has the same outcome.

This only occurs with some of my  .MOV files; others work as expected. I haven't been able to distinguish any key differences between those that work and those that manifest this problem.

I am running a fully updated version on my Dell Inspiron 660S desktop PC and have the latest version of Norton Internet Security installed.

I have run a full system scan with Norton and no issues have been detected other than a small number of Tracking Cookies which Norton has removed.

Does any one have any thoughts on what may be the cause?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2015-01-23T22:43:40+00:00

    Hi,

    Thank you for sharing the workaround you manage to find for this issue, This will help the users experiencing similar issue. Your efforts to resolve this problem is very much appreciated. Please feel free to reply, in case you face any other issues with Windows in future.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-01-21T21:23:49+00:00

    In common with many others I am also now unable to open .mov files after they are copied to Windows 8.1 environment from my Apple iPhone 4s. As a work-around I am converting these files to .AVI format using third party software (AVS Video Converter). This is not quite as straight-forward as it should be but it works as long as you do not mouse-click the .mov files. I am no expert in these matters but have made a youtube clip that illustrates this work-around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peaOL-Hp1uk

    I have also found that the original .mov files can be deleted by means of the DEL command at the DOS prompt.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-01-15T19:42:48+00:00

    Glad you got a result Katep don't.

    Must second your appraisal of "Windows" mind boggling support in resolving this matter - I remain unaware of any official wisdom regarding the spontaneous murdering of MOVs.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-01-11T18:17:33+00:00

    Ok everyone with this problem.....  

    i have done a factory reset on my husbands old  pc and reinstalled windows 8.  Windows 8 is fully updated and guess what. I CAN VIEW MOV FILES AGAIN.  I am not going to reinstall 8.1 as I am certain this was the problem.   The next update I do will be to windows 10 

    Yaaaaaayyyyyyy.  Let there be fireworks and much rejoicing in the land. 

    It it has only taken one new Apple Mac for the husband to release a spare pc and three days to sort out once I started. 

    Thank you you windows for your kind and urgent assistance with this problem that cost me a fortune and stopped me pursuing my business for a month.   I have no words for your kindnesses.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2015-01-07T18:44:12+00:00

    Hi leadhillsmike

    i have not tried this as such, but I have tried viewing in list format instead of thumbnail and it still crashes. 

    I will try this tomorrow if I get a chance, however even if it does work,I cannot see it helping with the edit process as that programme needs to generate thumbs so you can see what you are editing. 

    The husbands Apple has arrived and is settling in nicely so I may have a crack at doing the factory reset on his old one and see what happens next,

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments