Windows 8.1 update fails.

Anonymous
2015-06-24T20:33:32+00:00

Since the last "Patch Tuesday" on June 9, none of the important and other available updates will install. This is my last attempt to find a solution to the issue. I tried everything: troubleshooting, chat with MS Support for two(!) hours, googling all sorts of forums. All tis with no results. Remarkably, even MS chat from Answer Desk was unable to help. I cannot believe it that there is no help/support from MS available. That, if it is true, is very sad to say the least. I am sure that there is somebody at MS who could help/support to get the issue resolved but where is he or she??? I have been working on the issue at least 3 hours a day since June 9!!

The PC runs perfectly on the other hand. The errors that appear when looking into the details in the update history are the following ones:

  1. 800F0922
  2. 80071A91

both appear always,

  1. 80246010
  2. 80240054

both appear only a couple of times but the 2 above.

There is NO clear explanation for these errors or where the source may lie. This is in a way ridiculous. Why show them when no solution is offered at all?

Is there anyone at MS who can help??? If not, I am forced to reinstall Windows 8 from the purchased DVD and go then through the whole reinstallation and update process.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

41 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2015-07-01T16:49:28+00:00

    Hello Gerry,

    I made a mistake with the sharing the three files. I did the copying again. I hope that this helps and I apologize for my mistake.

    Here is the link for the three files:

    http://1drv.ms/1CJVxTn

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-06-29T20:00:27+00:00

    O.o :(

    There was a time I didn't realize what was meant by Image too.

    Everyone has an Image ..... It is your OS Disk, which some of us keep completely separate from there Data on a separate partition or  hard disk, but no matter. If you have an OS Dist you have an image of the Operating System to Backup. If the disk is just data one can back it up as an Image as well but most backup data as files.

    SFC & DISM operate on your OS Image, that's what they do. :D

    Corruption within the Image is what they are designed to resolve.

    Clean Boots are usually used to resolve app compatability issues.

    Hope this resolves your confusion.

    Crysta

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-06-29T19:50:57+00:00

    Thank you Gerry for your reply.

    I have prepared the 3 files. They were not created/saved in safe mode.

    Here are the links in my One Drive:

    1)  is the applicationevents.evtx

    https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=E8B44A094E5EC7E6!73518&authkey=!AIxH1ZlkNEK2Uo8&ithint=file%2cevtx

    1. Is the sysevent.evtx

    https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=E8B44A094E5EC7E6!73519&authkey=!AKFekESxdHEefs0&ithint=file%2cevtx

    1. Is the sysinfo32.txt

    https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=E8B44A094E5EC7E6!73517&authkey=!AJRCdxl5VggtFqo&ithint=file%2ctxt

    I hope that the links work. If not, I am sure you will let me know. Thank you

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-06-29T19:06:48+00:00

    Ramesh,

    I did try the clean boot  etc. as described by you. The result was the same as before. All updates failed. At first it seemed that the approach would work for 4 updates because in the history it said  "Pending Restart". The restart ended in the same failures as well. I also checked on the service Windows Installer which I started manually. No success at all.

    There is this post by "Phantom of the Mobile". I cannot quite follow that advice, especially because it talks about an image, which I do not have.

    I think still t5hat the Windows Update component is massively corrupt, but it appears totally separate from everything else, because the PC runs just right otherwise. My question here is now: if this is the case  - a deeply corrupt Windows Update  component

    • is there a chance it can be corrected with a few commands we have already tried? A  clean reinstallation would certainly resolve the issue.

    What is your opinion?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2015-06-29T17:00:43+00:00

    Please provide a copy of your System Information file. To access your System Information file select the keyboard shortcut Win+R, type msinfo32 and press the ENTER key. Select File, Export and give the file a name noting where it is located. Do not place the cursor within the body of the report before exporting the file. The system creates a new System Information file each time system information is accessed. You need to allow a minute or two for the file to be fully populated before exporting a copy. Please upload the file to your OneDrive, share with everyone and post a link here. Reports in normal mode preferred. Please say if the report has been obtained in safe mode.

    Please upload and share with everyone fresh copies of your System and Application logs (two files) from your Event Viewer to your One Drive and post a link here. You can remove the earlier copies of the logs from your OneDrive.

    To access the System log select the keyboard shortcut Win+R, type eventvwr.msc and press the ENTER key. From the list in the left side of the window select Windows Logs and System. Place the cursor on System, select Action from the Menu and Save All Events as (the default evtx file type) and give the file a name. Do the same for the Applications log. Do not provide filtered files. Do not place the cursor in the list of reports before selecting Action from the menu. Do not clear logs whilst you have a continuing problem.

    For help with OneDrive see paragraph 9.3:

    http://www.gerryscomputertips.co.uk/MicrosoftCommunity1.htm

    Notes on using Windows Update:

    http://www.gerryscomputertips.co.uk/WinUpdate1.htm

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments