What is Diagnostics Tracking Service which was installed from Windows Updates?

Anonymous
2015-05-02T00:06:17+00:00

Original title: Microsoft is installing SPYWARE thru Windows Updates?

Windows updates installed something called "Diagnostics Tracking Service" in my Windows 8.1 Pro.

Take a look at THIS website.

http://thepcwhisperer.blogspot.in/2014/10/microsofts-windows-10-preview-has-built.html

It says what this service does in Windows 10 TP.

Data We Collect

When you acquire, install and use the Program, Microsoft collects information about you, your devices, applications and networks, and your use of those devices, applications and networks. Examples of data we collect include your name, email address, preferences and interests; browsing, search and file history; phone call and SMS data; device configuration and sensor data; and application usage. For example, when you:

  • install the Program, we may collect information about your device and applications and use it for purposes such as determining or improving compatibility,
  • use voice input features like speech-to-text, we may collect voice information and use it for purposes such as improving speech processing,
  • open a file, we may collect information about the file, the application used to open the file, and how long it takes and use it for purposes such as improving performance, or
  • enter text, we may collect typed characters and use them for purposes such as improving auto complete and spell check features.

While this might make some sense in a TP (although I consider collecting so much personal information as email addresses and keystrokes to be extreme), it makes no sense in a released Windows version.

It's not like I have downloaded it myself from their website as a loving gesture and I want to share whatever I do in my personal life with Microsoft. They slipped it in as an "update" to Windows 8.1

This is definitely spyware behavior in some sense. It's collecting too much personal data.

I don't want to share ANYTHING with Microsoft. I have NOT turned on the customer improvement program thing in Windows.

WHY IS MICROSOFT DOING THIS?

WHICH KB DO I NEED TO UNINSTALL AND BLOCK IN ORDER TO GET RID OF THIS?

WHY IS MY ANTIVIRUS NOT REMOVING THIS? HAS MS PAID THE ANTIVIRUS VENDORS?

SHOULD I DISABLE AUTOMATIC UPDATES? I'M LOSING TRUST ON MICROSOFT. THEY CAN INSTALL SPYWARE ANY MOMENT, I CANNOT INDIVIDUALLY CHECK THE KB ARTICLE ON EVERY UPDATE JUST TO MAKE SURE IT'S NOT SOMETHING THAT'LL SEND PERSONAL INFORMATION BACK TO MS.

I'm really upset about this. :(

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

51 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2015-11-30T03:35:19+00:00

    Mr. Lead3,

    You must be joking!

    How do you say do not install this update in windows 10?

    Have you installed one? Have you even see one?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-11-21T16:18:54+00:00

    hi everyone, I am new to computers and stuff and as I was searching in task manager to find out what was bogging my system down I came across this file utcsvc, and in it was this diagnostics tracking service, I run windows 10 and was pretty sure that when I got it that this file had to stay on in order for Cortana to work,now granted I love Cortana but I do not want everything I click to go to be saved and combed through so I will turn Cortana off if this is the case, my question is, how do I get rid of such a file if its already on my machine?  Granted I do nothing to have to worry about someone looking through my stuff but at the same time its MY stuff and I hate the fact I am being spied on,. I knew when I accepted the agreement there was a certain amount of "spying" that was going to happen but I did not think it was this level, so if you guys could tell me how to remove it and what features removing it I lose on windows 10 would be awesome..and thanks again for this thread to show us who are not that good with these things what threats are being put out.

    Thank you

    Derick

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-08-15T13:28:27+00:00

    You were all informed at the same time because that is when I saw it.  I deleted the posts of all 3 that were not related to the thread.  I have nothing against any of you.

    You might want to read the Code of Conduct (at the bottom of every page)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-08-15T13:14:03+00:00

    Ok ! no problem.

    But why was he not informed first, I would have then not replied to his posting then.

    Seems to me, The moderators have something against me (Just an observation).

    Regards.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2015-08-15T11:32:29+00:00

    @Serious Eagle  @Techie007l @searren

    Can we get back on topic.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments