What is Diagnostics Tracking Service which was installed from Windows Updates?

Anonymous
2015-05-02T00:06:17+00:00

Original title: Microsoft is installing SPYWARE thru Windows Updates?

Windows updates installed something called "Diagnostics Tracking Service" in my Windows 8.1 Pro.

Take a look at THIS website.

http://thepcwhisperer.blogspot.in/2014/10/microsofts-windows-10-preview-has-built.html

It says what this service does in Windows 10 TP.

Data We Collect

When you acquire, install and use the Program, Microsoft collects information about you, your devices, applications and networks, and your use of those devices, applications and networks. Examples of data we collect include your name, email address, preferences and interests; browsing, search and file history; phone call and SMS data; device configuration and sensor data; and application usage. For example, when you:

  • install the Program, we may collect information about your device and applications and use it for purposes such as determining or improving compatibility,
  • use voice input features like speech-to-text, we may collect voice information and use it for purposes such as improving speech processing,
  • open a file, we may collect information about the file, the application used to open the file, and how long it takes and use it for purposes such as improving performance, or
  • enter text, we may collect typed characters and use them for purposes such as improving auto complete and spell check features.

While this might make some sense in a TP (although I consider collecting so much personal information as email addresses and keystrokes to be extreme), it makes no sense in a released Windows version.

It's not like I have downloaded it myself from their website as a loving gesture and I want to share whatever I do in my personal life with Microsoft. They slipped it in as an "update" to Windows 8.1

This is definitely spyware behavior in some sense. It's collecting too much personal data.

I don't want to share ANYTHING with Microsoft. I have NOT turned on the customer improvement program thing in Windows.

WHY IS MICROSOFT DOING THIS?

WHICH KB DO I NEED TO UNINSTALL AND BLOCK IN ORDER TO GET RID OF THIS?

WHY IS MY ANTIVIRUS NOT REMOVING THIS? HAS MS PAID THE ANTIVIRUS VENDORS?

SHOULD I DISABLE AUTOMATIC UPDATES? I'M LOSING TRUST ON MICROSOFT. THEY CAN INSTALL SPYWARE ANY MOMENT, I CANNOT INDIVIDUALLY CHECK THE KB ARTICLE ON EVERY UPDATE JUST TO MAKE SURE IT'S NOT SOMETHING THAT'LL SEND PERSONAL INFORMATION BACK TO MS.

I'm really upset about this. :(

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

51 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2017-08-25T10:09:00+00:00

    *"*It did not install unless you selected it since it was optional"

    People who are late to the party (like me) should know that the above information is not accurate. I have this executable and KB3022345 is not installed on my machine. Microsoft bundled it somewhere else. 

    I did a clean install of 8.1 less than 24 hrs ago. My Windows Update was set to check but let me choose what to download/install. Despite this, Windows downloaded and installed over 220 updates. Approximately one hour ago I attempted to install 2 optional updates. Windows installed them, plus all of the available 'Important' updates. I got 21 updates and subsequently discovered that Windows also changed my Update settings to fully automatic. 

    I have no idea where the Diagnostics Tracking Service was snuck in but I'm tired of wasting time trying to hunt it down. I disabled it in Services, along with Windows Update. 

    Microsoft is doing whatever it pleases with user computers and data. A few decades of this BS is more than enough for me. We need to hit the company where it hurts ... in the pocketbook. My next computer/laptop/whatever will not run Windows.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-05-09T17:15:31+00:00

    Well, you might have removed that one, but there's another one chugging away quietly in the background which you may not know about.

    Open File Explorer and navigate to **C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Diagnosis\ETLLogs\AutoLogger**If you can see AutoLogger-Diagtrack-Listener.etl in there, then Microsoft has ignored your wishes to opt out of the CEIP (assuming you did) and continues to monitor everything you do on the machine.

    The registry key which controls it is this one: *HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\WMI\Autologger\AutoLogger-Diagtrack-Listener*

    To call a halt to its antics, click AutoLogger-Diagtrack-Listener and then in the right hand pane right click Start and click Modify. Change the 1 into 0 and click OK.

    Next, scroll down to {DD17FA14-CDA6-7191-9B61-37A28F7A10DA} and in the right hand pane right click Enabled and click Modify. Change the figure 1 into a 0  as well. Click OK and then reboot the machine.

    Here's a couple of screenshots showing the registry entries. In the second one, I already made the change on my own machine which is why Enabled shows as (0).![](http://fud.community.services.support.microsoft.com/Fud/FileDownloadHandler.ashx?fid=ad0ffa65-75cd-4c4d-bc2d-42d6b076e91b)

    ![](http://fud.community.services.support.microsoft.com/Fud/FileDownloadHandler.ashx?fid=4caa579d-755a-4926-8b80-014144849e1b)

    After you've done that, hit Windows key + R and type (or copy/paste) taskschd.msc and click OK. This will launch Windows Task Scheduler.

    Expand Task Scheduler Library ---> Microsoft ---> Windows and click Application Experience. Right click Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser in the centre pane and click Disable.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-05-07T00:49:20+00:00

    Hi,

    And they want to pass that as an "update" to resolve some problems in Windows ?

    ****

    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/824684/

    "Update

    Definition: A widely released fix for a specific problem. An update addresses a noncritical, non-security-related bug."

    Now read the informations about KB3022345 here:

    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3022345/

    It's not an update, it's a tool that only serve Microsoft:

    This tracking service collects data about functional issues in Windows.

    I feel a buzz...

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-05-21T00:19:56+00:00

    You don't have to uninstall the update. It is sufficient to disable the service:

    • Run
    • Services.msc
    • Right-click "Diagnostics Tracking Service"
    • Properties
    • Set Startup Type to Manual or Disabled

    The service itself is relatively harmless in terms of privacy. However Microsoft should provide a UI setting to disable it (opt-out) like they do for the error reports (WER).

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2015-05-07T02:11:13+00:00

    Thank You for alerting users of the purpose of KB3022345, even though I have updates to manually install, I must admit I installed without looking into the implications, I have uninstalled,  will in the future take a closer look of updates offered by MS

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments