August 2015 Windows Update for Vista Requires One Hour to Run to Completion

Anonymous
2015-08-18T14:12:50+00:00

Is Microsoft throttling bandwidth for users running Windows Update on Vista machines to give a higher priority to Win 10 users?

I've run multiple Windows Updates since Patch Tuesday on 11-Aug-2015 and couldn't get them to run to completion on my 32-bit Vista machine until 16-Aug-2015.  There were no errors - it just reported that it was checking for updates and never finished, even if I let it run for over an hour.  Process Explorer showed svchost.exe constantly consuming ~50% of my CPU (i.e., complete saturation of one of my Intel Duo cores) and that a thread for the Windows Update service (wuauserv) was responsible for all that CPU activity.

I assumed that my Windows Update service was corrupted but after reading posts by other Vista users having the same problem (see ScousaJay's post *Windows Update Just Seems to Hang While Checking* in the Windows VistaForums for one example) I tried a manual update again on 16-Aug-2015.  Windows Update finally ran to completion and offered 17 important updates and one optional update for Silverlight but it took approx. 35 min before it reported that updates were available and the entire process, including the downloads, installs and monthly Malicious Software Removal scan, took almost a full hour.  A typical Patch Tuesday normally takes about 10 min on my machine from start to finish.

Here's what the CPU consumption looked like for my successful Windows Update of 16-Aug-2015, with the "Checking for updates..." phase running between the 70 and 35 min marks and re-start to complete the installation around the 15 min mark.


32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox 40.0.2 * IE9 * NIS 2014 v. 21.7.0.11

HP Pavilion dv6835ca, Intel Core2Duo T5550 @ 1.83 GHz, 3 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2016-06-15T19:02:10+00:00

    Further to my post of 16-May-2016, I can now confirm that the workaround posted on Dalai's webpage Search for Windows Updates takes forever? - A possible solution at http://wu.krelay.de/en/ solved my "Checking for updates..." hang.  I pre-installed the Win32K.sys update KB3161664 (MS16-073: Description of the security update for kernel mode drivers: June 14, 2016) before running a manual Windows update to install my June 2016 Patch Tuesday updates today, and "Checking for updates..." ran to completion in 20 min (compared with 5 - 6 hours for my Apr 2016 and May 2016 Patch Tuesday updates).  My entire Windows Update session finished in about 40 min.  Here's what the CPU consumption looked like for my June 2016 Patch Tuesday Windows Update with KB3161664 pre-installed, with:

    • "Checking for updates..." running for 20 min between the 60 and 40 min marks
    • Download and installation of 10 important updates between the 40 and 20 min marks (this month's Malicious Software Removal Tool scan ran for the last 8 mins of the installation phase)
    • Re-boot to finish installation (dark grey band) around the 15 min mark

    KB3161664 was the only Windows kernel-mode driver (Win32k.sys) update missing on my system from Dalai's list of recommended updates since my Vista SP2 system was fully patched as of May 2016.  If you have a Win 7 SP1 or Vista SP2 OS that has not been updated for several months or have difficulty following Dalai's instructions at http://wu.krelay.de/en/ I've posted step-by-step instructions in m#l's thread Updates not working, it has been searching for updates for hours that should be easier to follow.  As of June 2016 there are currently five Win32k.sys updates listed on Dalai's webpage [KB3078601 (18-Aug-2015); KB3087039 (08-Sep-2015); KB3109094 (07-Dec-2015); KB3145739 (12-Apr-2016); KB3161664 (14-Jun-2016)] that must be pre-installed before you run Windows Update if any are missing on your system.

    These "Checking for updates..." hangs on Patch Tuesdays are clearly a widespread problem for many Win 7 SP1 and Vista SP2, and the hangs on my system started in Aug 2015, the month after Windows 10 was officially released on 29-Jul-2015.  Microsoft has shown no interest in fixing the problem [e.g., releasing an update for Vista's Windows Update Agent v7.6.7600.256 (wuaueng.dll) that was last updated in June 2012] so I'll continue monitoring Dalai's webpage each month to see if a new Win32K.sys update is added to his list of recommended updates before I run any future Patch Tuesday updates.

    As OP of this thread I apparently can't mark one of my own posts as the possible solution, but I now consider this thread as Solved.  


    32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox v47.0 * IE9 * NIS v21.7.0.11

    HP Pavilion dv6835ca, Intel Core2Duo T5550 @ 1.83 GHz, 3 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS

    Was this answer helpful?

    6 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-09-11T21:32:13+00:00

    Just reporting that I saw no change when I tried to install this month's September 2015 Patch Tuesday updates for Vista. I ran a manual Windows Update on 10-Sep-2015 and got stuck at Checking for updates... for 40 min before WU reported that 1 recommended and 14 important updates were available for download. The entire update process, including downloads and installs, took just over one hour.

    Here's what the CPU consumption looked like for my 10-Sep-2015 Windows Update, with:

    • "Checking for updates..." running for 40 min between the 73 and 33 min marks (with svchost.exe saturating one of my cores and constantly consuming 50% of CPU between 60 and 33 min marks)
    • Downloads, installs and monthly Malicious Software Removal scan between 33 and 13 min marks
    • Re-boot to finish installation (dark grey band) at 8 min mark


    32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox 40.0.3 * IE9 * NIS 2014 v. 21.7.0.11

    HP Pavilion dv6835ca, Intel Core2Duo T5550 @ 1.83 GHz, 3 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-08-21T10:01:01+00:00

    On Monday, August 17th, I changed my settings to automatic updates (no idea why I did this) and it took a very long time, finally locking up my system. I couldn't do anything, so unplugged the cpu. (bad idea).

    Then when I tried to reboot, I didn't get past the login, but got a black screen and a message that (WINDOWS CALENDATD HAS STOPPED".

    I had an APPCRASH, here's the problem signature. I posted this on the Windows forum and since so few people use Vista now, I haven't gotten any help. I can get on the net using the path at the bottom. Also I have looked in Task Manager and it looks like I lost most of the processes that reside in my computer, although it shows them all in Other User. (although there is no other user) Wonder if I can copy and paste these...?

    I really need some help. I only know enough to be dangerous. Everything I have done has only made things worse. For instance I reverted to the default boot and now my drives and usb are not recognized...HELP!!

    Problem signature:

      Problem Event Name: APPCRASH

      Application Name: WinCal.exe

      Application Version: 6.0.6002.18005

      Application Timestamp: 49e01e83

      Fault Module Name: ntdll.dll

      Fault Module Version: 6.0.6002.19454

      Fault Module Timestamp: 55ae6e00

      Exception Code: c0000022

      Exception Offset: 00009f55

      OS Version: 6.0.6002.2.2.0.768.3

      Locale ID: 4105

      Additional Information 1: 9d13

      Additional Information 2: 1abee00edb3fc1158f9ad6f44f0f6be8

      Additional Information 3: 9d13

      Additional Information 4: 1abee00edb3fc1158f9ad6f44f0f6be8

    Read our privacy statement:

      http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=50163&clcid=0x0409

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-08-21T06:33:13+00:00

    As of 12 hours ago the problem seems to have been resolved and appears all along to have been an MS server issue.

    I must have spent 20 to 30 hours trying to resolve this issue.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments