Microphone auto muting and the levels go down to zero

Anonymous
2014-11-04T03:18:40+00:00

Hello all.

I have come upon a recent issue with my computer. My microphone automutes itself , and the levels go down to zero as well. Even if I manually adjust levels to 100 and unmute it resets and automutes again after a short time ( less than a minute ). I have not updated drivers but I cannot see them being the issue because I had zero issues yesterday why would the problem begin today I did not update or install any new programs. I have tried another mic plugged in through the standard jack and it does the same thing. My mic is a logitech webcam USB. Any suggestions? I cant seem to find any solutions on the web other than the obvious " Oh unmute it" .

I feel this is a windows 7 issue and this is why I have come here.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2016-10-13T19:08:30+00:00

Hey, 

I made a video on how to fix this issue. 

You can watch the video here : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4xQMlZEyr0

Hope that it helps!

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

50 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2017-02-01T19:26:46+00:00

    I followed TechRaj's instructions multiple times. Except for installing Malwarebytes anti virus. The same problem keeps coming back regardless of if there is a svchost.exc running under my name.  It seems as long as I keep making noise into the microphone after I unmute it I won't be auto muted, but if I stop making noise it will mute me.

    I have unchecked allowing devices to control the mic, and set it as the default device.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-12-31T04:16:15+00:00

    Hi,

    To assist you better regarding your concern with Audio, we suggest that you check this link and follow the steps on the article.

    Let us know how it goes.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-04-08T17:22:40+00:00

    I am also using Nvidia HD onboard sound on a Gigabyte motherboard.  I just noticed this problem a few days ago, while I and friends were online playing a game after work, using Teamspeak 3.   Other system sounds and game sounds remain at their set levels, but the Mic started muting itself, every 30 seconds to a minute, even as I watched the volume slider. 

    I have tried, restoring Windows to an earlier date, uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers, checking that the sound card is properly seated, and I have also tried using other sound cards that I have down in my man cave, from past installs and upgrades.  In each case the mic jumps to 0 volume and the mute is activated.  It is crippling my ability to communicate at all while gaming, and more importantly, I cannot conference with others on Skype or any other VOIP app.   I am not sure how this was broken, but it is a notable issue that is aggravating, mysterious and strange.  No one at Microsoft, with all the technical expertise at its disposal, has been able to solve this problem for us users?  That...begs credulity.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-01-01T01:27:56+00:00

    This was happening to me too...

    Malware.. Get a 3rd party anti-malware such as malwarebytes.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments