Photo Gallery and Windows 10

Anonymous
2015-08-14T13:51:58+00:00

Have any users - who use Photo Gallery (part of Windows Essentials 2012), preferably on Win 7 - upgraded to Win 10?    Have you checked out whether Photo Gallery, including all the tags you've attached to your media, continues to operate seamlessly on your machine after the Win 10 Upgrade.   Any problems at all?

How about Movie Maker?   I note Microsoft provides contradictory information about compatibility of Movie Maker and Window 10 - see the following:

  1. They are NOT compatible according to:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-au/windows-10/movie-maker-is-not-available-in-windows-10

2) They ARE compatible according to:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/compatibility/CompatCenter/ProductDetailsViewer?Name=Movie%20Maker&vendor=Microsoft&Locale=1033%2C2057%2C3081%2C4105%2C16393&ModelOrVersion=16&BreadCrumbPath=movie%20maker%20version%2016&LastSearchTerm=movie%2Bmaker%2Bversion%2B16&Type=Software&tempOsid=Windows%2010

What can a user do but ask other for their real world experience!

Windows for home | Other | Music, photos, and video

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

44 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2017-01-04T01:12:30+00:00

    Latest version:

    Photo Gallery 2012 (Build: 16.4.3528.331)

    Windows Essentials 2012 contains the following programs:

    Photo Gallery

         Movie Maker

         Windows Live Writer

         Windows Live Mail

         OneDrive

    Windows Essentials 2012 (Offline Installer) wlsetup-all.exe:

    http://g.live.com/1rewlive5-all/en/wlsetup-all.exe

    Will Windows Essentials 2012 still be available for download?

    Windows Essentials 2012 suite will be available for download until it reaches its end of support date on January 10, 2017.

    See Release Notes on Windows Essentials 2012:

    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13785

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-01-04T00:10:45+00:00

    Hi,

    We have a thread with similar concern. Click here and see if it helps.

    Regards.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-01-03T04:34:40+00:00

    Same here Photo Gallery on Windows 8 upgrade to windows 10 Photo Gallery does not work.  Doubles the amount of photos you had and delete one photo and deletes it off all your devices and some photos still on Photo Gallery will not open file says Photo Gallery out of date needs updating but you cannot update it. I dare not go back to windows 8 now as I might lose all photos.  Anyone got a simple solution, apart from you look like putting up with windows 10!!!! ha ha

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-10-02T19:17:34+00:00

    LenMead: Yes, eventually I got Photo Gallery to work. I ignored the SQL server warnings about not being valid for the operating system or not supported or whatever... (it did install). The key thing was that I had to change compatibility mode on the exe or shortcut to the application. I describe it here (go to the last message!) : http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windowslive/forum/gallery-wlinstall/photo-gallery-on-windows-10-is-not-responding-only/744049cb-fc58-4281-8644-2d8b4b4c304f

    There (on the page linked above) I've also put another link, to the Swedish version of these help pages, which was where I got help with the problem, and therefore it's in some more detail. The text is in Swedish but there are screen shots that might be helpful.

    Good luck!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2016-10-01T20:29:17+00:00

    I am having the exact same issue and have the exact same frustration - years of metadata are suddenly useless without Photo Gallery.  Did you ever find a solution?

    Much of the metadata in photos is visible in other tools. BTW, photogallery works fine on multiple machines I have upgraded from win 7 to 10.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments