Photo Gallery and Windows 10

Anonymous
2015-08-14T13:51:58+00:00

Have any users - who use Photo Gallery (part of Windows Essentials 2012), preferably on Win 7 - upgraded to Win 10?    Have you checked out whether Photo Gallery, including all the tags you've attached to your media, continues to operate seamlessly on your machine after the Win 10 Upgrade.   Any problems at all?

How about Movie Maker?   I note Microsoft provides contradictory information about compatibility of Movie Maker and Window 10 - see the following:

  1. They are NOT compatible according to:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-au/windows-10/movie-maker-is-not-available-in-windows-10

2) They ARE compatible according to:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/compatibility/CompatCenter/ProductDetailsViewer?Name=Movie%20Maker&vendor=Microsoft&Locale=1033%2C2057%2C3081%2C4105%2C16393&ModelOrVersion=16&BreadCrumbPath=movie%20maker%20version%2016&LastSearchTerm=movie%2Bmaker%2Bversion%2B16&Type=Software&tempOsid=Windows%2010

What can a user do but ask other for their real world experience!

Windows for home | Other | Music, photos, and video

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

44 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2015-10-17T01:59:42+00:00

    I downloaded Windows 10 on July 28. I have had nothing but problems . Between 2 and 12 duplicates of many photos. Any duplicate deleted will delete all copies and leave a non removable and non available photo entry. Also renaming or renumbering a photo will make it no longer available. Does not effect photos after August. I had about 70,000 photos with windows XP. When I went to Windows 7 pro, it reloaded to 107,000. At least I could delete the duplicates with no problem. When Windows 10 installed, I ended up with 307,000 photos. Today I have over 310,000 photos. Totally unmanageable. I do not recommend Windows 10 until they address this problem. I contacted customer service 8/12/2015 and was told it caused by a virus and after the virus was removed it would be resolved. Not happening! Be very careful. I have lost a lot of photos already. Any change to Collections,  Pictures, or Photo Gallery is also done to the others. I will try to resolve this again but will probably return to Windows 7 pro next week.

    It seems unlikely that Win10 will duplicate your photos - they are just user files of no interest to Win10. 

    Please explain how these "duplicates" appear on your machine - How are the duplicate files named?  Do the duplicates appear in the same or different folder than the pre-existing file?

    Are you running the latest version of Essentials, ie. "Windows Essentials 2012"?

    I have just resolved a so-called duplicate photos problems on another user's Win10 system, and it seem as though it is User Error.  He appears to have been importing the photos in a manner which created duplicates - he is a little foggy on his procedure so could not confirm precisely what he has been doing, but I suspect his duplicates have been there from well before Win10 came along.  We deleted duplicates (via Photo Gallery) and nothing untoward happened to the other copy(s) of the same file (which in his case had the identical file name, but in a different folder.)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-10-17T01:49:51+00:00

    Now, after finding and opening the (well-hidden) Photo Gallery file, I get the message that Photo Gallery has stopped working and that Windows will close it and get back to me. Then it shuts down.

    My pictures seem to be here on my computer, but I can't do anything but edit and print a full size print. Not what I want to do.

    By "photo gallery file", are you referring to the program, or the photogallery database file?  You should not need to go looking for the latter.

    I have played with Photo Gallery (actually, an older version of it from Windows Live Essentials 2011) on a friend's Win10 machine, and it seems to be working fine.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-10-17T01:43:03+00:00

    Microsoft has updated information on "Windows Essentials" (which includes Photo Gallery as a component) to show it as available for Windows 10.  I have previously examined this page and Win10 was NOT listed.

    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-au/windows-live/download-windows-essentials#wetabs=we2012

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-09-25T20:22:33+00:00

    I downloaded Windows 10 on July 28. I have had nothing but problems . Between 2 and 12 duplicates of many photos. Any duplicate deleted will delete all copies and leave a non removable and non available photo entry. Also renaming or renumbering a photo will make it no longer available. Does not effect photos after August. I had about 70,000 photos with windows XP. When I went to Windows 7 pro, it reloaded to 107,000. At least I could delete the duplicates with no problem. When Windows 10 installed, I ended up with 307,000 photos. Today I have over 310,000 photos. Totally unmanageable. I do not recommend Windows 10 until they address this problem. I contacted customer service 8/12/2015 and was told it caused by a virus and after the virus was removed it would be resolved. Not happening! Be very careful. I have lost a lot of photos already. Any change to Collections,  Pictures, or Photo Gallery is also done to the others. I will try to resolve this again but will probably return to Windows 7 pro next week.

    I assume these "duplicates" are seen in the photo gallery, but the actual photo on your disk is not duplicate.  I very much doubt that that the Win 10 upgrade touches you personal files, such as photos.

    Upgraded ???  to Windows 10 Destroyed about 20% of my Photos. Can not load new material from my SDHC Card .I have to go back to 7 I guess! Had no problems with Zoom Browser with 7 - Windows10 initially accepted downloads  from ZB - Not anymore!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2015-09-21T03:31:10+00:00

    I agree on the Cheesy description. After any changes involving cropping are made, you are unable to later undo the changes. Also if I "save" a copy, I cannot find the "saved" copy. I only do this to a few photos when I want to make modifications to one copy but not the other.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments