Set PIN as default sign-in option

Anonymous
2014-06-08T01:45:54+00:00

Hi, I have set my PIN on my Windows 8.1 but it continues to prompt me on password when I sign in. I can only click the sign-in option and change to PIN in order to input PIN number. How can I set PIN as default sign-in option?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Security and privacy

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-06-11T08:29:50+00:00

Hi,

On the login screen below the password box click on Sign-in Options. You can view two option, one for password and one for Pin. Click on PIN and enter the pin. When you restart the computer, by default Windows will remember the previous option which you have chosen to login to Windows (PIN).

Sign in to or out of Windows

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/sign-in-out-of-windows

Hope this helps. If you need further assistance with Windows, let us know and will be glad to help.

Was this answer helpful?

40+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2015-02-03T05:03:02+00:00

Hi,

Sorry, to know that you are facing this issue.

  • Did you follow all the troubleshooting steps suggested in this thread?

If you have tried all the steps, I would suggest you to run the System File Checker tool (SFC.exe) scan, to fix missing or corrupted system files. Windows Store might crash if system files are corrupted.

Use the System File Checker tool to troubleshoot missing or corrupted system files

**http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833/en-us**

Hope this helps. If you need further assistance with Windows, let us know and will be glad to help.

Was this answer helpful?

6 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-09-07T15:21:43+00:00

Hi,

Welcome to Microsoft community forums. Sorry, to know that you are facing this issue on the new computer.

  • Did you delete the old PIN before you tried creating a new one?
  • Did you follow all the troubleshooting steps suggested in this thread?
  • Did you connect your computer to Domain network?

Windows 8 has a feature where you can use a 4 digit PIN to sign-in to your Windows account. If you are a domain user, this feature is disabled by default.

Try these steps to remove your old PIN:

a) Press "Windows Logo"+ "C" keys on the keyboard to display the charms bar.

b) Click on "Settings" and then click on "Change PC settings" at the bottom

c) Select "Users" on the left panel of "PC Settings"

d) Click "Remove PIN" under "Sign in options"

e) Once the old PIN is removed, try creating the new PIN and check if that resolves the issue.

Please follow all the troubleshooting steps from this thread. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help you.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

45 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-09-04T04:15:58+00:00

    I did all that and it worked all of one or two times. Now it wants me to do all that **** about my e-mail in 2x then then getting a code. Go back to my e-mail account, wait for it, bring it back and put it in. I did go again to the sign in options, chose PIN and it did nothing. No space to put in pin. How the **** do you get it to hold?

    I really hate all this password stuff. You need one to get into the computer, then again to get into the forum, then again to get into apps. And it wants it for everything - google, individual apps. It's not Fort Knox for God's sake.  For example, all I wanted was an app to save my passwords in. I chose one (I think Lenova) and it wants a new password. I don't have a clue how to work it - it'll save birthdays but can't find where it's saving passwords. Something is asking me if I want to save my passwords but I can't find where the fu--g thing is putting them. I had a nice simple thing that saved the passwords very nicely but it completely disappeared one day, I can't remember the name of it. So I have millions of pieces of paper in no order at all with passwords on them. I am furious. Is there any way to turn off all these password requests. And if I have to look for that damn PIN one more time, I'm going to throw this computer out the window. No, better yet, I'll go down and throw it through Microsoft's window.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-09-06T11:11:11+00:00

    Hi Marilyn,

    Sorry, for the inconvenience caused. I can certainly understand the changes you may find using Windows 8 as new technology. Windows 8 introduced major changes to the operating system's platform and user interface to improve its user experience. I do appreciate your feedback as we bring change considering the same feedback to make technology more user friendly.

    The code which Windows 8 is requesting is to make your PC trusted. A trusted PC is a Microsoft account security feature. Only trusted PCs are allowed to synchronize passwords. You can also more easily reset your password from a trusted PC, should you ever forget it.

    You should only trust private PCs, not public PCs that other people have access to. If you share a PC with other people, anyone with access can reset your Microsoft account password from that PC.

    What is a trusted PC?

    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-live/essentials-what-is-trusted-pc-ui

    You may refer this article on how you can manage the passwords on Windows 8.

    Passwords in Windows: FAQ

    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/passwords-in-windows-8-faq

    If you are still facing issue with using PIN on user account. I would suggest you to create new user account and check if you face similar issue.

    Create a user account

    **http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows/create-user-account#create-user-account=windows-8**

    Hope this information helps. Keep us posted on the status of the issue.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments