Can't edit mp3 tags on the details pane in windows explorer on windows 8.1

Anonymous
2013-10-24T02:29:04+00:00

I have recently installed windows 8.1 and everything seems to be running smoothly, but before I was able to edit the mp3 tags on the details pane, now I can't. I can still edit the details on picture files. 

I can still edit mp3 files in windows media player, but I prefer editing tags in the details pane. 

Does anyone know the cause of this?

___________________________________________

EDIT 3/22/14: Still having problems with this issue. However, I fix this by opening up windows explorer without searching anything immediately and clicking on the music folder where I contain all my music, and I'm able to edit the tags.

Basically:

Searching does not simply work.

You may have to restart windows explorer by using task manager to be able to edit tags again.

You may have to restart your computer entirely, especially if you need to update your computer.

Other ways to edit tags:

Use Windows Media Player.

Use a tagging program such as: http://www.mp3tag.de/en/

EDIT 7/18/14: Due to required system updates I'm now able to edit multiple values. Though Problem still persists time to time, where I'm still unable to edit tags.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Music, photos, and video

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2016-04-12T04:53:17+00:00

    Try this ;

    1. In explorer
    2. select file
    3. right click (to show menu)
    4. select [open with]
    5. select [Choose default program...]
    6. tick the box = [use this application for all mp3 files] if you intend to edit more than the selected file.
    7. select [Windows Media Player]
    8. select file & right click again
    9. This time select [Properties]
    10. [Details]
    11. Editing now possible.
    12. After editing, repeat steps 2-7 to change back to your preferred player.

    Even if your preferred player is WMP and you can't edit - Go through these steps - it works for me.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-03-22T17:44:24+00:00

    Again, I confirm this is an issue with Windows 8.1: I installed a clean copy of win8 on a virgin System. Updated to Win 8.1 and voila, there you are.

    FILE PROPERTIES IN SEARCH RESULTS CANNOT BE EDITED. PLEASE FIX, THIS IS IDIOTIC! IT BREAKS FUNCTIONS WHICH WERE UNIQUE TO WINDOWS!!!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-11-12T22:14:17+00:00

    Same problem here - I can no longer edit details in the details pane of File Explorer, specifically in search mode.  I have attempted both suggested methods and no success.  Please note that no error message is present.  It is simply a case of something that could be done in Windows 7 & 8 that can no longer be done in Windows 8.1.

    Prior to the upgrade, this was a very quick and convenient way to make changes to file details, so it has been a disappointment to see this functionality taken away.  I'm hopeful that this is a problem with a setting somewhere, but I fear I'll be waiting for a future update that may never occur.

    Please advise.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-10-30T00:33:35+00:00

    It worked, thanks!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2013-10-24T18:04:36+00:00

    Hi Vector_Sigma,

    -          Do you get any error message while trying to edit mp3 tags on details pane?

    Let us follow these methods:

    Method 1.

    You may temporarily disable the security software and check if this helps.

    Disclaimer: If you have to temporarily disable the antivirus to install other software; you should enable the antivirus as soon as you're done. If you're connected to the Internet or a network while your antivirus software is disabled, your computer is vulnerable to virus attacks.

    Method 2.

    Boot the computer in safe mode and check if this helps to edit the mp3 tags.

    Windows Startup Settings (including safe mode): http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-8/windows-startup-settings-including-safe-mode

    Reply with the status of the issue and we will be glad to offer our assistance.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments