Because Windows 8.1 and IE11 both are junk. Mircrosoft blames everything on bad PC - corrupt files - or some other bull. All I have is Windows 8 (came on PC) and nothing else. Upgraded to windows 8.1 and everything would either freeze or just quit working. Windows 8 was fine. Contact Microsoft and was told go to EDIT GROUP POLICY My windows 8 don't have it. Things they tell me to do is not found on my Windows 8. Must have Windows 8 Pro or RT or whatever.. I must have just the Home Version because it won't do **** not even be responsive to Microsoft's upgrade to Windows 8.1. So we had to restore to factory settings to get 8.1 off. Now I find out not only is Windows 8.1 junk but I can't even stop it from downloading automatically. We have tried all the ways they say ..We have to keep shutting PC off when it starts upgrading... JUNK__JUNK___JUNK
How to Disable “Update to Windows 8.1 for Free” Notification in Windows 8 Store?
Description
If you are tired of seeing “Update to Windows 8.1 for Free” notification then it’s time to disable it. Get rid of these regular prompts to upgrade to Windows 8.1 for free.

Solution:
There are two ways to disable "Update to Windows 8.1 for Free" notification message in Windows 8:
Method 1: Using Group Policy Editor (gpedit.msc)
- Press “WIN+R” keys together to launch RUN dialog box and type “gpedit.msc.” Then press “Enter.”
- “Group Policy Editor” gets open.
- Go to:
Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Store
- On the right-side pane, double-click “Turn off the offer to update to the latest version of Windows" option and set its value to "Enabled".

It will disable the Windows 8.1 free update installation notifications.
Method 2: Using Registry Editor (regedit)
You can do the same thing using Registry Editor instead of Group Policy Editor. Follow the below steps:
- Launch RUN dialog box by pressing “WIN+R” and type “regedit” and press “Enter”.
- “Registry Editor” gets open.
- Go to the following key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\WindowsStore
If you don’t find the above key then create it manually.
- Choose “WindowsStore” key and in right-side pane, create a new DWORD DisableOSUpgrade and set its value to 1.

5. Now, close “Registry Editor” and log off or restart Windows.
Congrats, you have successfully disabled those notifications
Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Microsoft Store
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
47 answers
Sort by: Most helpful
-
Anonymous
2015-05-20T18:24:15+00:00 -
Anonymous
2015-05-19T18:24:07+00:00 Good news, they make the professional edition for people who want that control.
-
Anonymous
2015-05-19T18:11:59+00:00 why on earth would I do that or want that? because it is not working. Is that simple enough for you? I don't care about memory issues. I have enough memory for you and three other users.. I do not like anything that over rules my wants.
-
Anonymous
2015-04-22T13:44:53+00:00 I understand that's a headache and unfortunate to have that happen, but the solution isn't to avoid it. Fix what crashed (or caused it) so you can get fully updated and patched. I and many others will be glad to help you with whatever obstacles you have, but please post a fresh thread so we can give you direct attention.
-
Anonymous
2015-04-22T08:13:19+00:00 also it forced the update on me