Error Code 0xc0000017, There isn't enough memory available to create a ramdisk device

Anonymous
2013-10-17T21:57:10+00:00

I'm getting this blue screen message when Windows 8.1 finishes downloading and I reboot my computer as instructed:

Recovery

Your PC needs to be repaired

There isn't enough memory available to create a ramdisk device

Error Code: 0xc0000017

You'll need to use the recovery tools on your installation media

However, after getting that message, I'm able to select F9 and it reboots back into Windows 8 with a message stating:

Sorry, we couldn't complete the update to Windows 8.1. We've restored your previous version of Windows to this PC

0xC1900101-0x20017

Anybody have insight with what's going on and how I can fix it?

I have 8 GB of RAM, plenty of hard drive storage, and my computer exceeds all the OS requirements, I 've been running Windows 8 great for about a year.

Thanks

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Install and upgrade

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2016-12-10T00:45:18+00:00

Ladies & Gentlemen,

I came across the issue of BSoD code 0x0000017 during a recent upgrade to a Windows 10 Insider Preview build, when I was asked to look at a friend's desktop when she suffered this BSoD code.

There are a few solution that have been batted around, and I have no doubt that they have worked for the person who has posted the solution.

  • unplugging all USB devices certainly reduced the memory allocation for the drivers - if the device is not running then it does not need memory allocation
  • stopping your anti-virus - this will certainly stop any false positives, especially where there are major alterations to the operating system .. we have witnessed this issue perviously during the installation of service packs

The BSoD error code 0x0000017 appears to be associated with "Bad Memory". I have witnessed this error code with systems that are running both x86 & x64 systems, with 4Gb, 8Gb & 12Gb. I am unable to explain the reason why. However, the solution that I use is something that I was taught in the days of Windows 2000 to Windows XP & server 2003.

  • Open a Command Prompt with Administrative Privelages
  • Type "BCDEdit /Enum" & press Return, or Enter - without quotations
  • Download the update .. & before you restart go to the next step
  • Type "BCDEdit /DeleteValue {BadMemory} BadMemoryList" & press Return, or Enter - without quotations

Hopefully this will give you the solution the the issue that you are experiencing

Arthur

Was this answer helpful?

20+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2013-12-11T14:45:42+00:00

    Here same problem exist in my system........and also not opening old windows 7.

    So, tell me how this problem solved if old windows isn't open?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-10-30T15:30:42+00:00

    Well, at last, its downloaded.!! It has taken me approximately 15 attempts (so glad I upgraded my internet to unlimited!!) but it is on the PC.

    From day one, I have tried all recommended methods, even spending time with a Microsoft Tech remotely checking the PC (he said it couldnt be loaded as some "vital" bit of program was missing) all to no avail. I was about to call it a day and stick with straightforward W8, when I came across the ISO download suggestion.

    I tried following the on-line instructions, but sadly ended up downloading W8 over the existing version. You are supposed to pause the download at 1% and then close this before installing the 8.1 ISO, but on my machine it went from "Checking" to "10% download". I thought I'd stopped it and was loading the 8.1, but no. Not a happy bunny about that, although I would say a good 99% of my stuff was still there, just a little "altered" (small icons instead of medium, etc).

    At this I thought I might as well try and see if I could get the 8.1 download from the store, but it wasn't displayed. Mmmm, interesting, but hey ho, lets see what else has changed. So I checked updates, and lo and behold....something like sixty "essential" upgrades were awaiting download. I manually installed these and went back to the store, and there was the 8.1 download!!

    I pressed the download button and away it went. It got to 83% and froze!! But, I had heard that the hard drive had shut down prior to the freeze (I believe it is set to go into hibernation after 30minutes inactivity), I pondered about how to encourage it to start back up again, just in case it was stalling the installation, so unplugged my USB drive, and then re-connected, and I heard the main HDD start up again. Seconds later the download % increased, and kept on rising!!

    It didn't display 8.1 during the download so I was expecting yet another W8 version, but eventually the set-up screen appeared. Whoopie!!

    In conclusion, was it worth the effort, well so far, not really. It looks a bit different thats for sure, certainly more colourfull, but as for it feeling "new", well I must be honest and say no it doesnt.

    I dont know if any of this is of any help to anyone out there, but just thought I'd share my experience. Good luck.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-10-30T02:31:24+00:00

    My situation is similar to those previously noted. I am running 8.0 for about a year with no issues. I don't have Webroot or any other AV program other than 8.0 Defender. I have all updates including the installer update for 8.1. What's up with this? I haven't had issues with Windows products since Vista.

    Help.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-10-20T09:40:59+00:00

    I am having the same problem. Looks like Microsoft was in a hurry to push this update without testing. Apparently there is no solution so far....... I doubt if they will even bother to let users know or push it through automatic update?????

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments