Error Code 0xc0000017, There isn't enough memory available to create a ramdisk device

Anonymous
2013-10-17T21:57:10+00:00

I'm getting this blue screen message when Windows 8.1 finishes downloading and I reboot my computer as instructed:

Recovery

Your PC needs to be repaired

There isn't enough memory available to create a ramdisk device

Error Code: 0xc0000017

You'll need to use the recovery tools on your installation media

However, after getting that message, I'm able to select F9 and it reboots back into Windows 8 with a message stating:

Sorry, we couldn't complete the update to Windows 8.1. We've restored your previous version of Windows to this PC

0xC1900101-0x20017

Anybody have insight with what's going on and how I can fix it?

I have 8 GB of RAM, plenty of hard drive storage, and my computer exceeds all the OS requirements, I 've been running Windows 8 great for about a year.

Thanks

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Install and upgrade

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2016-12-10T00:45:18+00:00

Ladies & Gentlemen,

I came across the issue of BSoD code 0x0000017 during a recent upgrade to a Windows 10 Insider Preview build, when I was asked to look at a friend's desktop when she suffered this BSoD code.

There are a few solution that have been batted around, and I have no doubt that they have worked for the person who has posted the solution.

  • unplugging all USB devices certainly reduced the memory allocation for the drivers - if the device is not running then it does not need memory allocation
  • stopping your anti-virus - this will certainly stop any false positives, especially where there are major alterations to the operating system .. we have witnessed this issue perviously during the installation of service packs

The BSoD error code 0x0000017 appears to be associated with "Bad Memory". I have witnessed this error code with systems that are running both x86 & x64 systems, with 4Gb, 8Gb & 12Gb. I am unable to explain the reason why. However, the solution that I use is something that I was taught in the days of Windows 2000 to Windows XP & server 2003.

  • Open a Command Prompt with Administrative Privelages
  • Type "BCDEdit /Enum" & press Return, or Enter - without quotations
  • Download the update .. & before you restart go to the next step
  • Type "BCDEdit /DeleteValue {BadMemory} BadMemoryList" & press Return, or Enter - without quotations

Hopefully this will give you the solution the the issue that you are experiencing

Arthur

Was this answer helpful?

20+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2013-11-06T19:12:03+00:00

    I was having this same error "There isn't enough memory available to create a ramdisk device

    Error Code: 0xc0000017" and error displayed on reboot of 0xc1900101-0x20017 with my teen's computer.  A nVidia 680i mobo with the first Intel quad-core processor, a Q6600  I mention teen since he likes to download risky software.  A good sign of an infected computer is you have various toolbars installed on your system.

    I was having some issues with System File Checker (sfc) but got those cleared up.  I uninstalled stuff and ran Defender scans and CCleaner several times.  The system apeeared to be working well and seemed to be virus free but no luck installing W8.1 without same ramdisk error reoccurring.

    Solution:  I installed W8 clean from DVD.  Did the Media Center update, and then did the W8.1 update.  I had absolutely no issues with the updates.  The ramdisk error never happened again.

    Moral of the story, I had remnants of a virus or malware somewhere that was affecting the update to W8.1.  It wasn't drivers or anything else I found people suggesting to try on various web sites.  You can't really blame your infected computer on Microsoft when you, or someone else using your computer, gives the malware or virus permission to install itself.  In my case, it looks like Microsoft is off the hook since I had an infected computer preventing the W8.1 update from happening.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-10-19T21:33:41+00:00

    Strange. In the other thread concerning error with ramdisk there are many people with q6600. Quad cores are the problem? Many of us also have nvidia mobos/ video cards. Is this your case?

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-10-18T16:31:07+00:00

    You mean they told you there is no fix because some random process isn't running in your pc???

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-10-18T15:10:16+00:00

    Same problem, seems many others are finding they cannot upgrade either.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments