Error Code 0xc0000017, There isn't enough memory available to create a ramdisk device

Anonymous
2013-10-17T21:57:10+00:00

I'm getting this blue screen message when Windows 8.1 finishes downloading and I reboot my computer as instructed:

Recovery

Your PC needs to be repaired

There isn't enough memory available to create a ramdisk device

Error Code: 0xc0000017

You'll need to use the recovery tools on your installation media

However, after getting that message, I'm able to select F9 and it reboots back into Windows 8 with a message stating:

Sorry, we couldn't complete the update to Windows 8.1. We've restored your previous version of Windows to this PC

0xC1900101-0x20017

Anybody have insight with what's going on and how I can fix it?

I have 8 GB of RAM, plenty of hard drive storage, and my computer exceeds all the OS requirements, I 've been running Windows 8 great for about a year.

Thanks

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Install and upgrade

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2016-12-10T00:45:18+00:00

Ladies & Gentlemen,

I came across the issue of BSoD code 0x0000017 during a recent upgrade to a Windows 10 Insider Preview build, when I was asked to look at a friend's desktop when she suffered this BSoD code.

There are a few solution that have been batted around, and I have no doubt that they have worked for the person who has posted the solution.

  • unplugging all USB devices certainly reduced the memory allocation for the drivers - if the device is not running then it does not need memory allocation
  • stopping your anti-virus - this will certainly stop any false positives, especially where there are major alterations to the operating system .. we have witnessed this issue perviously during the installation of service packs

The BSoD error code 0x0000017 appears to be associated with "Bad Memory". I have witnessed this error code with systems that are running both x86 & x64 systems, with 4Gb, 8Gb & 12Gb. I am unable to explain the reason why. However, the solution that I use is something that I was taught in the days of Windows 2000 to Windows XP & server 2003.

  • Open a Command Prompt with Administrative Privelages
  • Type "BCDEdit /Enum" & press Return, or Enter - without quotations
  • Download the update .. & before you restart go to the next step
  • Type "BCDEdit /DeleteValue {BadMemory} BadMemoryList" & press Return, or Enter - without quotations

Hopefully this will give you the solution the the issue that you are experiencing

Arthur

Was this answer helpful?

20+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2016-10-09T13:03:22+00:00

    After reading a few comments, it appears that the installation had to be "local" (mouse and keyboard only).

    However, I'm trying to run a Hyper-V server with a new deployment of internal database for Skype server, and with 32GB of RAM, no other virtualization hosts running, and a brand new Gen2 Virtual 20GB directory, my first start screen was "....Press any key to boot", and "Recovery due to ramdisk space not available".

    I find this really peculiar, and would like to know why and how the Skype server can distinguish from internal and external deployments.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-06-15T17:57:04+00:00

    Worthless reply.

    "Hi, disable Antivirus for a boot issue."

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-06-15T17:42:07+00:00

    These suggestions are worthless.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-11-28T18:49:25+00:00

    I was having installation problems and  finally encountered this same error: Error Code 0xc0000017, when installing Windows 10 Professional on an older PC with 2 GB of RAM (I found this thread searching on the error code).  The TITLE of this thread ("There isn't enough memory available to create a ramdisk device") made me realize what the problem might be, so I ran the "Windows Memory Diagnostic" Tool (Should be available from at least Windows 7 up - search in Control Panel) and found that I had a bad Memory card - one of the two 1 GB cards was bad, and I was able to isolate which one by shutting down and re-running the Memory Diagnostic with each card separately.  After replacing the memory card, this error (plus other errors that I was getting earlier - also saw: "Windows cannot install required files - ERROR CODE 0x80070570") went away and the installation completed successfully. 

    I also noted here that Windows 10 Professional installed and ran without any problems on an older PC with only 2 GB RAM (Pentium 4 CPU 3.2 GHz x-86 32 bit processor) because there were posts here worrying about having enough RAM with much higher amounts.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments