The restore did not complete successfully (Windows 7)

Anonymous
2014-03-11T18:41:14+00:00

I have a Windows 7 backup stored on a network drive. When I try to restore anything this is the error I get. Obviously the network path is fine or I wouldn't be able to open the backup and select files to restore.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

41 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2014-03-28T13:36:21+00:00

    Thanks Ratandeep.

    Unfortunately those don't apply to my situation. I think if I make you understand what is happening it will help you point me in the right direction.

    This is an old backup of several folders from a Windows 7 computer.

    The backup is stored on a file server.

    I am now testing with 3 laptops on the network, all running Windows 7.

    I start the Windows 7 backup application and choose "select another backup to restore files from."

    I then browse the network to the path where the backup is stored on the server. For example: \server\backup

    The backup is loaded and I can browse/search for files and folders.

    I choose a file at random and select "in the following location" to restore the file to a folder on the laptop I am testing with.

    This process works fine on 2 test laptops, but FAILS with my main laptop. THAT is what I have to fix. It seems the problem is on the laptop, not the server, and not a problem with the backup itself.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-03-28T11:44:13+00:00

    Hello Jimmy,

    Thank you for the reply.

    I am sorry for late response.

    I suggest you to try following methods and check the issue.

    Method 1:

    Please try steps provided in this Microsoft help article and check if it helps.

    Refer:

    Windows backup or restore errors 0x80070001, 0x81000037, or 0x80070003

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/973455

    Method 2:

    You may also use try to use following steps.

    If the backup directory is on a different drive or on a different file share, and the original backup location is still available, follow these steps to resolve the problem:

    a. Locate the root directory of the drive or the file share where the backup was originally stored.

    b. Copy the Mediaid.bin file.

    c. Locate the root directory of the location where the backup is currently stored.

    d. Paste the Mediaid.bin file.

    For example, if the original backup location is drive D, and the backup was moved to drive E, copy the Mediaid.bin file that is located in the root directory of drive D to the root directory of drive E.

    e. Try to restore another backup file.

    I hope this information helps.

    Thank you

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-03-18T12:11:39+00:00

    Ratandeep -

    By default that service has a startup type of manual. However for testing I changed it to automatic and made sure it was running on both the server and the laptop and nothing changed.

    From the laptop I am able to load the backup over the network, browse and select files to restore, but the SECOND I hit the restore button I get the error. It is immediate - it doesn't even take a minute to try.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-03-18T11:09:39+00:00

    Hello Jimmy,

    Thank you again for you response.

    Please make sure the Volume Shadow Copy service is running and the startup type of the same is set to Automatic.

    a. Click Start, type services.msc in the Start search box and press Enter.

    b. Locate Volume Shadow Copy.

    c. Check for the status. If the service is stopped, right-click and select Restart.

    d. Also make sure the startup type is set to Automatic under Properties > General > Startup type.

    I hope this helps.

    Thank you

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2014-03-17T11:40:56+00:00

    Ratandeep -

    No, the laptop is not a member of a domain. There is also no firewall running on the laptop, and I *can* connect to the laptop from the server via UNC path to see shared folders. Given this, why would the backup software give this error when trying to perform a restore?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments