Chrome and Firefox browsers not compatible with Windows 8.1 update

Anonymous
2013-10-18T17:15:32+00:00

I have just installed the new windows 8.1 update today (18th October) and found that both chrome and firefox do not work. (I had the latest versions installed which worked fine with windows 8.) I've even tried installing chrome 4.1 beta and the "unstable" chrome 5... I've made sure that they (chrome and firefox) are 'allowed' through the firewall, but still can't get them to work. Both web browsers open and look like they're working, but when I try to open a website chrome says it can't connect to the internet and firefox just remains on the start page. I know my internet works fine as internet explorer works and so does the app store. Any help on this would be appreciated! Thank you

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Apps

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-10-18T17:52:13+00:00

There's a solution by ianself on mozilla's support forum and it worked for me! It fixed both my chrome and firefox browsers.

  1. Type "cmd.exe" into Search and then right-click on Command Prompt****to select 'Run as administrator'
  2. Type "netsh winsock reset" into Command Prompt, and then press Enter
  3. Restart PC

 source: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/974612#answer-491242

Was this answer helpful?

10+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

45 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2014-11-18T15:07:12+00:00

    There's a solution by ianself on mozilla's support forum and it worked for me! It fixed both my chrome and firefox browsers.

    1. Type "cmd.exe" into Search and then right-click on Command Prompt****to select 'Run as administrator'
    2. Type "netsh winsock reset" into Command Prompt, and then press Enter
    3. Restart PC

     source: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/974612#answer-491242

    Thank you.This fix actually worked. Not on all my browsers..but at least it worked on FF.   Thanks again 😊

    This solution also worked for me. I have not had any problems since running this fix.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-11-17T22:50:27+00:00

    go to microsoft fixit and run program fixit program that might help

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-11-10T02:04:43+00:00

    There's a solution by ianself on mozilla's support forum and it worked for me! It fixed both my chrome and firefox browsers.

    1. Type "cmd.exe" into Search and then right-click on Command Prompt****to select 'Run as administrator'
    2. Type "netsh winsock reset" into Command Prompt, and then press Enter
    3. Restart PC

     source: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/974612#answer-491242

    Thank you.This fix actually worked. Not on all my browsers..but at least it worked on FF.   Thanks again 😊

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-07-10T02:26:02+00:00

    For those of you checking out the Store and deciding to click on that banner for the 8.1 upgrade go to the PC manufacturers website and search out your model and see if it is on their 8.1 approved list. I'm seeing to many people not checking and end up having me roll back their PC to 8.0. I've see anywhere from BlueScreens to noscreens, continuous reboots and or dead systems along with networking problems. You may have the latest drivers but they may not be 8.1 certified. If your system is ready your 8.1 will come as a normal upgrade and I've seen no problems on those systems yet (crossed fingers).

    And on those that did the Store update to 8.1 I've tried all the above fixes and none of them worked. All three major browsers failed even though networking devices say they were running fine. Actually Firefox got me on the internet to google but choked up and started failing after a few web sites, IE and Chrome failed to connect right off the bat.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments