Chrome and Firefox browsers not compatible with Windows 8.1 update

Anonymous
2013-10-18T17:15:32+00:00

I have just installed the new windows 8.1 update today (18th October) and found that both chrome and firefox do not work. (I had the latest versions installed which worked fine with windows 8.) I've even tried installing chrome 4.1 beta and the "unstable" chrome 5... I've made sure that they (chrome and firefox) are 'allowed' through the firewall, but still can't get them to work. Both web browsers open and look like they're working, but when I try to open a website chrome says it can't connect to the internet and firefox just remains on the start page. I know my internet works fine as internet explorer works and so does the app store. Any help on this would be appreciated! Thank you

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Apps

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-10-18T17:52:13+00:00

There's a solution by ianself on mozilla's support forum and it worked for me! It fixed both my chrome and firefox browsers.

  1. Type "cmd.exe" into Search and then right-click on Command Prompt****to select 'Run as administrator'
  2. Type "netsh winsock reset" into Command Prompt, and then press Enter
  3. Restart PC

 source: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/974612#answer-491242

Was this answer helpful?

10+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

45 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2015-01-31T23:26:53+00:00

    all browsers have issues in Win 8 & 8.1, my topic mostly talks about waterfox, but i mention other browsers, to here: https://superuser.com/questions/871791/waterfox-35-memory-leak-can-it-be-fixed

    issues with browsers are as old Win 8, so i feel like Microsoft does not much care of fixing this issues, today i gave them feedback trough Microsoft support, if it doesn't get better with year or 2 i will go back to Win7, install it on this PC, i have win7 in my old PC, i keep it as a backup in a box, & i don't like much new App that Windows 10 has, even win8 has so meany unnecessary App's, that's why i like Win7 the most, i mention this so MC would know not all like the design & sys that win8 & 10 has, 1 thing in win7 i like is start menu, no start screen, other issues what i have with win8 i mentioned already

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-01-20T15:17:34+00:00

    DanMu, I have that same problem with internet explorer crashing all the time.  Or it is always asking me show secure content.  Or claiming it is blocking Active X  on my computer!  Were you able to find a cure for this????  EvelynB.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-01-14T15:14:40+00:00

    you don't need norton security which takes  up alot of memory with windows 8.1.  windows 8 and 8.1 has windows defender and windows live essentials which could effect computer with other anti virus.  They probably conflict each other.  So I would get rid of Norton and see if computer runs better.  Make sure to reboot computer if deleting Norton.  I would also download ccleaner at ccleaner.com and clean computer and run registery cleaner with out changing anymore item till you know how to use the program.  uninstall all tool bars thru the program too and run cleaner again and reg cleaner too.  Then go to internet options and reset thru the advanced menu and at the bottom click reset.  Then to set your home page go to the General tab and highlite the page listed below and type home page which don't have to list the www/.

    Like if your home page is msn.com it will automatically ad the http:/www.msn.com or what ever it is. 

    Hope this helped!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-01-14T14:53:24+00:00

    I think firefox and chrome right now is not compatible and I think that you should make sure that your microsoft is up to date and in the optional update of microsoft has in portant update for 8.1 that should be updated which might fix the problem but you have to keep checking for changes.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments