32-bit application fails to start after 8.1 upgrade, gives error 0xC000007B because of missing system DLLs.

Anonymous
2013-10-23T07:28:03+00:00

I had been using "IBM Rational ClearQuest Client 7.1.2 for Windows" 32-bit application with Windows 8 Pro x64 without problems.

But after 8.1 upgrade the ClearQuest fails to start and gives error 0xC000007B, which indicates that there's a bad or missing DLL.

I used the Windows 8.1 ISO file from MSDN to do the upgrade and I've also installed the GA updates, but the problem remains the same.

The DependencyWalker reports that the clearquest.exe is missing six Windows 8.1 system DLLs:

API-MS-WIN-CORE-KERNEL32-PRIVATE-L1-1-1.DLL

API-MS-WIN-CORE-PRIVATEPROFILE-L1-1-1.DLL

API-MS-WIN-SERVICE-PRIVATE-L1-1-1.DLL

API-MS-WIN-CORE-SHUTDOWN-L1-1-1.DLL

EXT-MS-WIN-NTUSER-UICONTEXT-EXT-L1-1-0.DLL

IESHIMS.DLL

First three of those files are located in SysWOW64\downlevel, but the 32-bit clearquest.exe is not able to find those DLLs. IESHIMS.DLL is located under WinSxS directory tree, but not available for 32-bit clearquest.exe

But API-MS-WIN-CORE-SHUTDOWN-L1-1-1.DLL and EXT-MS-WIN-NTUSER-UICONTEXT-EXT-L1-1-0.DLL can not be found at all from Windows 8.1 system!

This is very strange because SETUPAPI.DLL (in System32 and SysWOW64) depends on API-MS-WIN-CORE-SHUTDOWN-L1-1-1.DLL (checked with "dumpbin /imports" command)!

And D3D11.DLL depends on the missing EXT-MS-WIN-NTUSER-UICONTEXT-EXT-L1-1-0.DLL.

I've tried to install ClearQuest again but it didn't help. I've also used "sfc /verifyonly" command, but it reports that everyhing is OK.

I've checked two other Windows 8.1 systems that have also been upgraded from Windows 8 and those files are missing also in those systems.

Is it really so that there are system files missing from Windows 8.1 upgrades?

Jari

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-08-01T19:26:39+00:00

Hi everybody, just found something really interesting.

I've just got an quite old game and tried to play it on my win8.1update, then received 0xc000007b :-(

DependencyWalker told me the missing of six dlls and I just can't find some of those on web QAQ 

So I tried to play it on another laptop with XP and I was informed that there is something wrong with xinput1_3.dll

After downloading that dll (for 32-bit system) from the internet, the game works properly in XP :-)

And surprisingly, when I turn back to win8.1, replacing the original xinput1_3.dll of win8.1update with the downloaded one, the game miraculously starts to run!!!

I don't know why it works, but it does work.

For your reference.

Good Luck,

Lichen

Was this answer helpful?

30+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-11-11T20:05:19+00:00

Hello!

I had problems with this API dll's missing with several 64 bit aplications

such as Magix video professional editor 2015 and Magix Samplitude 2015 along with

some programs from Native.

The solution for me was;

 Visual C++ Redistributable Packages for Visual Studio 2013

Download link:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=40784

I reinstalled (repaired) these 2 files and all programs worked

vcredist_x64.exe

vcredist_x86-exe

Hopefully You experience the same!

Was this answer helpful?

3 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2014-01-17T15:43:53+00:00

    SpiceGuru,

    I analyzed your case in my system. The RegisterActiveObject is located in oleaut32.dll, which needs the api-ms-win-core-kernel32-private-l1-1-1.dll because the following functions: _lclose, _llseek, _lwrite, _lread.

    But api-ms-win-core-kernel32-private-l1-1-1.dll exports only one function: PrivCopyFileExW.

    However, the older version api-ms-win-core-kernel32-private-l1-1-0.dll exports those _lclose and other functions!

    So oleaut32.dll has been linked against api-ms-win-core-kernel32-private-l1-1-0.dll content but using api-ms-win-core-kernel32-private-l1-1-1.dll name.

    Doesn't sound "by design" to me, Microsoft.

    Jari

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-01-17T15:24:51+00:00

    I've had Windows 8.1 up-to-date whole the time but it hasn't fixed the problem.

    Besides, how can Windows Update fix this problem because this "feature" is "by design" according to Microsoft Support i.e. there's nothing to be fixed ... ;-)

    Jari

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-01-15T22:17:55+00:00

    Thank you Rogerio for the response.

    I did update the 8.1 machine with the latest 8.1 updates but that did not solve our problem.

    I am sending the error report to MSFT every time it fails so maybe they will fix it in the next update.

    Incidentally, our problem has to do with one particular API

    RegisterActiveObject

    which does not work in 8.1 or at least not the way we have been using it.

    Maybe someone form MSFT can point me in the right direction on how to resolve this issue with a live support/technical person at MSFT. We are willing to pay for this support at this point but don't know how to go about it!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments