Windows 8.1 Hangs on Start Up

Anonymous
2013-10-28T16:19:35+00:00

Hi

Since I have installed 8.1 ( I was running version 8 previously and upgraded from 7 before that ) when I switch my pc on it starts to boot and then hangs.

It hangs at the point where the dots are spinning in a circle.. just stops completely and I have to hold the power button in to force it to power off and then switch it on again.

When I switch it on it seems to boot fine the 2nd time...

Quite annoying and only started happening with Windows 8.1

Any ideas?

Thanks

Michael

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

49 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2015-02-21T15:52:32+00:00

    Hi,

    That seems strange... were you using the installed version, or the portable one that just runs ?

    Were you using CoreTemps settings to load with Windows, or a Scheduled Task ?

    I am running an Intel i7, and have 4 temps showing on my tray\taskbar...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-02-21T03:36:52+00:00

    Thanks for that Slance, i'm now using msi afterburner instead as you can get the cpu temps to appear in the tray but i might try loading core temp again at some point. i did give it try running in windows 8 compatibility mode and also tried loading the most recent version of core temp again, no joy.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-02-19T15:06:55+00:00

    Hi,

    Just wanted to let you know that I am running on a couple of different Win 8\8.1 machines without issues.

    Even on Win 10 TP... I'm not on the machine at the moment, but I'm pretty sure I'm running CoreTemp_0.99.8.0...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-02-19T14:23:45+00:00

    Bumping a very old thread, but I see there was a 02/15 post on page 4.

    I have a MSI Z77A-G45, with win 8.1 pro fully updated, but other than that, not many programs installed (says 37 in programs and features, but a lot of those are Nvidia and C++ etc.) Anyway...

    My issue was getting to the desktop after start up from "shut down" ,but then the loading wheel animation would freeze, and the desktop would become unresponsive with anything I clicked on failing to respond or being opaque.

    After trying refresh your PC (which meant I had to re-install everything - as you will all likely know) it still happened.

    So I did what I should have done at first, which was disable any special BIOS features for boot, all of the start up items (i.e taskmanager>startup), and any scheduled tasks I had set to run on log on.

    Then by process of adding one back at a time and rebooting, for me it turned out it was core temp. http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/ I love this little program, but for now, it's gotta go. I have rebooted about 10 times without it, all fine, and about 5 times with it set to run and not set to run but launching it and each time I get the same freeze.

    Could be some other conflict with a program/app you are running different to my issue, but I think the general idea of disabling as much as you can from running at start up, and then working through enabling and rebooting one by one should help isolate.

    This may be a little different to the awake from sleep state issue mentioend in this thread, but I have 64bit windows which that issue apparently doesn't apply to.

    Anyway, there's my 5 cents for the Community.

    Good luck troublshooting all.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2015-02-04T12:53:38+00:00

    I've got the same problem, but only when i start my pc with my 4g usb modem connected to my pc, and it never happens when the modem is not connected...

    Many people are having that issue and no reaction from ms!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments