Windows 8.1 Surface Shuts Down instead of sleep

Anonymous
2013-10-19T07:38:25+00:00

Since upgrading to 8.1 my Surface Pro will reboot when it should have gone into Sleep mode.... not every time, but if the machine has not been used for a while (e.g. over an hour or so). Prior to the upgrade it was very reliable.


For example, this morning the following messages were in my Event Viewer

The previous system shutdown at 20:18:39 on ‎18/‎10/‎2013 was unexpected.

Windows failed to resume from hibernate with error status 0xC0000411.

The message previous to this was...

The system has returned from a low power state.

Sleep Time: ‎2013‎-‎10‎-‎18T18:00:59.127876100Z

Wake Time: ‎2013‎-‎10‎-‎18T19:08:25.476268900Z

Wake Source: Power Button

Sleep mode was entered at 19:01, not mains connected, but battery fully charged (and still charged in the morning).

Any ideas?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Install and upgrade

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2013-12-03T09:28:40+00:00

    I have this problem too.  Often times, but not every time, when the system goes to sleep it actually shuts down completely.  If I had IE open, my session ends unexpectedly.  If I have a word document open, it is gone unless there happened to be an autosave.

    The troubleshooter did nothing.  In advanced power settings, the close lid and power button both are set to sleep.  What exactly am I supposed to do once I reboot in safe mode or clean boot in order to fix this?

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-11-07T18:33:26+00:00

    Unfortunately this has started to happen again, and this time the troubleshooting is not coming up with anything. So annoying as it means if I leave apps open ready to start back on them again, they have all gone next time I start the machine up. Back to the drawing board!

    The instructions for safe mode cannot be followed - "General" does not exist on PC Settings menu.

    I have looked at the event log for this morning and it had an entry

    Windows failed to resume from hibernate with error status 0xC0000411.

    Shortly followed by

    The previous system shutdown at 22:59:28 on ‎30/‎10/‎2013 was unexpected.

    The settings are set to Sleep on lid close and power button, both on plugged and battery. Then set to Hibernate after 60 mins battery and 180 mins plugged in. Last night the lid was closed and left on power.

    I have this problem as well:

    Surface Pro, used to work fine with Windows 8. Updated to Windows 8.1, now every time I hibernate I get the following error in my system log:

    Windows failed to resume from hibernate with error status 0xC0000411.

    Please let me know if you need any other information to resolve the issue...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-10-31T08:35:42+00:00

    Unfortunately this has started to happen again, and this time the troubleshooting is not coming up with anything. So annoying as it means if I leave apps open ready to start back on them again, they have all gone next time I start the machine up. Back to the drawing board!

    The instructions for safe mode cannot be followed - "General" does not exist on PC Settings menu.

    I have looked at the event log for this morning and it had an entry

    Windows failed to resume from hibernate with error status 0xC0000411.

    Shortly followed by

    The previous system shutdown at 22:59:28 on ‎30/‎10/‎2013 was unexpected.

    The settings are set to Sleep on lid close and power button, both on plugged and battery. Then set to Hibernate after 60 mins battery and 180 mins plugged in. Last night the lid was closed and left on power.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-10-22T06:40:07+00:00

    Many thanks -Troubleshooter worked. Wonder why the update messed it up (which is what I presume happened). All fine now though 😉.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2013-10-19T16:23:22+00:00

    Hi Rose,

    Check the link mentioned below to see if this is how you have set the sleep option.

    **http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/windows-8/how-shut-down-turn-off-pc**

    Method 1: Run the power troubleshooter. Follow these steps:

    a) Press the ‘Windows + W’ key on the keyboard.

    b) Type Troubleshooter in the search box and then press enter.

    c) Click system and security and run the power troubleshooter.

    Method 2: Lets us try performing safe mode and clean boot.

    Step 1: Perform Safe Mode

    Click the link and follow the steps “Windows Startup Settings (including safe mode)”

    **http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/windows-startup-settings-including-safe-mode**

    Check if you face the same issue in safe mode. If the issue doesn’t persists in safe mode, the place the computer in clean boot and check.

    Step 2: Perform Clean Boot.

    To help troubleshoot error messages and other issues, you can start Windows 8 by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This kind of startup is known as a "clean boot." A clean boot helps eliminate software conflicts.

    **http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135**

    Note: Check the title**“How to reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting with clean boot”**for reverting to normal mode.

    Please reply if you have any questions.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments