Windows 9 Beta Testing

Anonymous
2014-03-26T00:26:52+00:00

Hello.

My name is Logan, and I am a student programmer with a little bit of experience in VB, Java, and C# under my belt so far. 

I'm very interested in beta testing Windows 9 (code name "Threshold") just as I beta tested Windows 8 a few years back.

There are rumours circulating that Windows 9 may be release later this year, or early next year, which means that beta testing of Windows 9 should start soon, if not already, and I can't seem to find a single piece of information on how to legally obtain a copy of Windows 9 beta, or even where to look or listen for when it does become available.

If anybody knows anything whatsoever about this subject, please reply to me.

Thanks.

Windows for home | Other | Install and upgrade

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-03-26T14:42:57+00:00

Stop paying attention to rumors.

When MS is ready for Beta testers. they'll announce it at www.microsoft.com and not before they're ready.

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

40 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2014-09-15T21:01:27+00:00

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-09-15T19:19:33+00:00

    There may be a few positives re Win 8, but not many at least when compared to Windows 7. In Win 7,  I have 100% control. I can choose to not use a pagefile.sys, nor a hiberfil.sys. My PC wakes in less than 1/2 second, (about 20 seconds for win 8 - Both PCs i7s, 3.5GHz, 32GB RAM, SSD). And by eliminating those files, I have eliminated almost 100% of the unnecessary writes to my SSD boot drive greatly enhancing its likely life span. Also when you say Windows 8 boots faster than ( ? ), are you using identical hardware in that comparison? My two computers are nearly identical and I just don't see an apples to apples difference.

    I'm retired and 99% of my PC use centers around learning. For example, as I develop a Camtasia video on screen #1, on screen #2, I can simultaneously watch a "how to" downloaded Camtasia video, take notes in notepad, ask questions in Google and generally give myself the best opportunity to improve my Camtasia skills. Windows 8 wasn't / isn't nearly as adaptable to my needs, but I am hopeful Windows 9 will correct 8's shortcomings and will volunteer to Beta it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-09-14T17:13:24+00:00
    1. I have been using Windows 8 since it came out as well as beta tested it beforehand.  It has a lot of positives like faster start-ups and shut-downs, better security, etc. 
    2. The main gripe always seems to center around the lack of the old start menu -
    3. there are a few free third party ones that work fine (I am currently using one). 
    4. I have not used it on a phone - preferring android (switched from iPhone and will never go back) but I can see the plus of using the same system on each device.
    1. Vague insistence that win 8 has positives. Not that anyone disagrees with 'some' of the Win 8 (& 8.1) enhancements that are referred above as 'positives'.
    2. Strawman argument that minimizes and obfuscates all of the complaints regarding Win 8 and derivatives; with a demeaning implication towards users that complain.
    3. Great! Buy an Operating system and then get third party programs just to make the dang thing partially usable. Most of the quality third party utilities are not truly free. Got any other free advice that isn't worth the price?
    4. Ah yes, 'the future'; suffer gladly the faults of the present so that the future will be brighter. Don't forget the fact that users pay good money for this present pain so that Microsoft can realize they goofed, big time!

    Win 8 and Win 8.1 are just plain terrible in many respects, not just the 'start menu'. The whole 'app' center concept of running windows is a massive misunderstanding of the 'current' host of windows users with their trusty machines and mice.

    Don't have a touch screen? Tough! Get over it and buy a touchscreen.

    Your main programs don't have convenient 'apps', try searching, oh there is a 'third party' app and it only costs $5.99; download and find out it hasn't been updated to run 'the latest' release.

    Not forgetting the dozen or so programs that do not have any apps.

    Hunt through the disk until one finds the correct start program icon and then post it as a desktop shortcut so we don't have to find the dang thing every time. Only to discover when we click the shortcut that Win 8 does not support the old (win 7 and earlier) program configuration files. Again back through the process to post the executable's shortcut and deal with setting location and support files every time we run the program.

    Then deep into using the program or any program for that matter and right in the middle of a keystroke the screen flashes back to app view. When one's eyes are focused on the material and typing it is incredibly irritating to find half of the letters went into the ether because the screen switched.

    The program director who managed Win 8 and 8.1 should be canned. Or as they do in the justice service, canned 'with prejudice' meaning never again.

    Every time one of Microsoft's type A manager dinosaurs oversees a project that project is destined for disaster. Every time we users are burned badly we start checking out the competition; not necessarily Apple, but Linux and Ubuntu too. What should really worry Microsoft is that those competitors are looking darned good.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments