Windows host process (Rundll32) high CPU usage

Anonymous
2013-11-09T05:32:25+00:00

Most of the time, the rundll.exe process uses consistently above 80% CPU usage. It slows down everything considerably. It also appears that this process gets executed indefinitely slowing down the whole system all the time it runs. It can be killed safely, but then it runs again after sometime and the slow down continues.

I run Windows 8.1 64 bit. Toggling the 'command line' view option in the task manager reveals the following:-

rundll32.exe aeinv.dll,UpdateSoftwareInventory

How do I fix this annoying issue?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-11-19T23:46:59+00:00

Hello, I was having the same issues with rundll32.exe using a lot of my CPU usage. Here is what was causing my issues.

Step One: I downloaded Process Explorer. This is an excellent tool. It is similar to Task Manager but goes into way more depth on the processes and dlls that are running. I extracted the download and then ran Process Explorer as an administrator.

Step Two: One of the first things I noticed was rundll32.exe was using 23 percent of my CPU again. 

I right-clicked on the rundll32.exe process and selected properties. I clicked on the Image tab and at once saw the culprit. A utility to monitor and gauge my battery usage, called PwrMgrBkGndMonitor, was draining my battery instead of saving it.

**Step Three:**After a little digging around in my installed programs I located a program called Lenovo Settings Dependency Package. PwrMgrBkGndMonitor was installed in the Lenovo Settings Dependency Package.

I didn’t use this program and decided I didn’t need it. I uninstalled the program and restarted my laptop. I haven’t had a problem with the rundll32.exe using up my CPU since I uninstalled Lenovo Settings Dependency Package.

If you are experiencing the same symptoms has stated above and you are running a Lenovo laptop with Windows 8.1, this may be your issue. However, before you uninstall the program I would recommend using Process Explorer. Process Explorer will help you determine the exact program that is giving you issues before blindly uninstalling and killing services. I hope my troubleshooting steps can help you find program is making rundll32.exe use high CPU usage. Let me know in the comments if this helped you!

(removed by FM)

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

45 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2015-04-19T05:25:11+00:00

    I have a problem with Windows 8.1 on a Surface Pro 2, that within a few seconds of booting my CPU gets busy with some processes running.  I searched the web for weeks with no remedy that worked for me.  I keep checking from time to time to see if someone figured it out.  Nope.  Not yet.

    But I did stumble on a workaround that fixes it temporarily.

    After I boot up, I let the CPU spin for a bit and do whatever its busy with while I do this:'

    1. Open Word or Notepad
    2. Type In a few random characters
    3. Minimize window
    4. Go to Metro space and attempt to Sign Out
    5. You will get a message that there are open processes in the background that need you to respond.  (Remember, you have Word or Notepad open and have not saved anything).
    6. Select "cancel" so that you don't log out
    7. Voilà, whatever process that was hogging the CPU was shut down.

    Do as often as needed to kill that process whenever it starts up again.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-04-06T08:43:54+00:00

    Microsoft did are you even reading the forums before you post the same answer you give to everyone about every single problem??

    i think they don't at least not all of them, almost awry time i ask something they give instructions (do this do that) & not answers

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-04-06T08:16:52+00:00

    is 80% CPU normal if Rundll32 handles/runs Software Protection service?, when Rundll32 started running i went in even logs to see what process is using Rundll32 & i got this

    Step 1

    The Software Protection service is starting.

    Parameters:caller=wmiprvse.exe

    Step 2

    Initialization status for service objects.

    C:\Windows\system32\sppwinob.dll, msft:spp/windowsfunctionality/agent/7.0, 0x00000000, 0x00000000

    C:\Windows\system32\sppobjs.dll, msft:rm/algorithm/inherited/1.0, 0x00000000, 0x00000000

    C:\Windows\system32\sppobjs.dll, msft:rm/algorithm/phone/1.0, 0x00000000, 0x00000000

    C:\Windows\system32\sppobjs.dll, msft:rm/algorithm/pkey/detect, 0x00000000, 0x00000000

    C:\Windows\system32\sppobjs.dll, msft:spp/ActionScheduler/1.0, 0x00000000, 0x00000000

    C:\Windows\system32\sppobjs.dll, msft:spp/TaskScheduler/1.0, 0x00000000, 0x00000000

    C:\Windows\system32\sppobjs.dll, msft:spp/statecollector/pkey, 0x00000000, 0x00000000

    C:\Windows\system32\sppobjs.dll, msft:spp/volume/services/kms/1.0, 0x00000000, 0x00000000

    C:\Windows\system32\sppobjs.dll, msft:spp/volume/services/kms/activationinfo/1.0, 0x00000000, 0x00000000

    Step 3

    The Software Protection service has completed licensing status check.

    Application Id=55c92734-d682-4d71-983e-d6ec3f16059f

    Licensing Status=

    1: 0cdc4d08-6df6-4eb4-b5b4-a373c3e351e7, 1, 0 [(0 [0xC004F014, 0, 0], [(?)(?)(?)(?)(?)(?)(?)(?)])(1 )(2 )]

    2: 625cc89b-693d-45c4-9967-123877fc41e4, 1, 0 [(0 [0xC004F014, 0, 0], [(?)(?)(?)(?)(?)(?)(?)(?)])(1 )(2 )]

    3: 9a8645c4-8908-49bb-8eec-6671a533b17a, 1, 0 [(0 [0xC004F014, 0, 0], [(?)(?)(?)(?)(?)(?)(?)(?)])(1 )(2 )]

    4: 9e263fcf-ef40-428c-8aa1-40e09e2994db, 1, 0 [(0 [0xC004F014, 0, 0], [(?)(?)(?)(?)(?)(?)(?)(?)])(1 )(2 )]

    5: 9e4b231b-3e45-41f4-967f-c914f178b6ac, 1, 0 [(0 [0xC004F014, 0, 0], [(?)(?)(?)(?)(?)(?)(?)(?)])(1 )(2 )]

    6: b080aea2-e6c5-4b22-838e-fa4a21c931e3, 1, 0 [(0 [0xC004F014, 0, 0], [(?)(?)(?)(?)(?)(?)(?)(?)])(1 )(2 )]

    7: bbc56067-37f8-49dd-87b2-a418a9ba130a, 1, 0 [(0 [0xC004F014, 0, 0], [(?)(?)(?)(?)(?)(?)(?)(?)])(1 )(2 )]

    8: bf4b3af6-c071-496d-bfcc-5f0dc12c7798, 1, 0 [(0 [0xC004F014, 0, 0], [(?)(?)(?)(?)(?)(?)(?)(?)])(1 )(2 )]

    9: c752c2e0-7c17-4af4-bba6-6f8aa1e698bc, 1, 0 [(0 [0xC004F014, 0, 0], [(?)(?)(?)(?)(?)(?)(?)(?)])(1 )(2 )]

    10: c7c00280-b24d-4e82-89ca-4f1288eb1d9e, 1, 1 [(0 [0x00000000, 1, 0], [(?)( 1 0x00000000)(?)( 2 0x00000000 0 0 msft:rm/algorithm/hwid/4.0 0x00000000 0)(?)(?)( 10 0x00000000 msft:rm/algorithm/flags/1.0)(?)])(1 )(2 )]

    11: fe1c3238-432a-43a1-8e25-97e7d1ef10f3, 1, 0 [(0 [0xC004F014, 0, 0], [(?)(?)(?)(?)(?)(?)(?)(?)])(1 )(2 )]

    12: 4a8149bb-7d61-49f4-8822-82c7bf88d64b, 1, 0 [(0 [0xC004F014, 0, 0], [(?)(?)(?)(?)(?)(?)(?)(?)])(1 )(2 )]

    Step 4

    The Software Protection service has started.

    6.3.9600.16497

    Step 5

    The Software Protection service has completed licensing status check.

    Application Id=55c92734-d682-4d71-983e-d6ec3f16059f

    Licensing Status=

    1: c7c00280-b24d-4e82-89ca-4f1288eb1d9e, 1, 1 [(0 [0x00000000, 1, 0], [(?)( 1 0x00000000)(?)( 2 0x00000000 0 0 msft:rm/algorithm/hwid/4.0 0x00000000 0)(?)(?)( 10 0x00000000 msft:rm/algorithm/flags/1.0)(?)])(1 )(2 )]

    Step 6

    Successfully scheduled Software Protection service for re-start at 2115-03-12T22:55:16Z. Reason: RulesEngine.

    Finale

    The Software Protection service has stopped.

    i explained it by steps cause when 1 finishes next1 starts

    this events make 1 big event, they are all Software Protection service, & its runs awry day once a day, some times its just 4event 1 after another, 4 first steps & sometimes there is 2, 1 say's started & other say's finished or complete, but the 2 are meany Hours before  the first 4, or all the 6 above

    there are few Software Protection service events more that work in different time & before the event above, it can be hours before

    Successfully scheduled Software Protection service for re-start at 2115-03-12T18:29:03Z. Reason: RulesEngine.

    &

    The Software Protection service has stopped

    the 2 events also work 1 right after another, when 1 stops other1 starts, i mean they are 1 event

    this is the only time Rundll32 takes so much CPU, also i think its the only time i ever see Rundll32 run when The Software Protection service is running, Software Protection is not running in taksmanager so i take Rundll32 as Software Protection Service.exe cause it runs Software Protection service

    EDIT:

    My bad total memory was 80%, Win 8 show it a bit differently, the memory stuff, rundll32 it self was a bit over 60% or 70%, my question is it normal

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-03-18T13:58:42+00:00

    Microsoft did are you even reading the forums before you post the same answer you give to everyone about every single problem??  We have all already followed those steps and they did nothing.  Every forum on this issue someone has tried those steps to no avail.   Then when someone tells you those steps solved nothing you guys stop responding to the thread and no help is given.  I have an excellent suggestion.  Make a new windows update that removes this application experience bullcrap.  End of story.  Fix your broken software like the multi-billion dollar company that you are..  I am a music producer and this issue is seriously impacting my lively hood.  But I guess that's what I get for thinking maybe a PC would be a better idea then a Mac.  But then again my Girlfriend who owns a mac never has these problems.  Get your self together microsoft.  Give us a real solution.  you say we can remove this application experience but you refuse to tell us how.  This is seriously the saddest example of customer service  have ever seen.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments