KB2852386 Is Not Cleaning Up Windows Update Files As Expected

Anonymous
2013-10-24T07:12:38+00:00

On October 8 (Patch Tuesday), I installed all of the new Windows updates for my system (Win 7 SP1 x64).  I was particularly excited about KB2852386, as it should have enabled me to reclaim a lot of disk space.

The patch installed fine, and I found the "Clean up system files" button in the Disk Cleanup window. Using it, I found that I have 3.95 GB of Windows Update files that can be removed (about what I expected).  So I ran the program, re-ran the Disk Cleanup utility to verify that the Windows Update files had been cleaned, and then rebooted my system (it is my understanding that you must restart the system to actually clean out the files).

When the system was shutting down, I received a "Windows is configuring Windows updates ... " (or some such) message.  When the system restarted, I started with something similar, but then got the message "Failure configuring Windows updates. Reverting changes. Do not turn off your computer."  When that message finally cleared (several minutes), I got a "Shutting down" message, and the system rebooted.

Upon restart, I found that I needed to reinstall KB2676562, KB2872339, KB2882822 and IE10.  By going into Disk Cleanup, I found that I still have 3.95 GB of Windows Update files that can be cleaned.

I repeated all of this several times, hoping it would work.  It never did.

Any ideas on how to get it to work?  In the alternative, is there a way to clean out the files manually?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-12-20T06:42:13+00:00

The fact that the hard-link exists doesn't guarantee that the two stores aren't out of sync, it is just an indicator.

It looks to me like all the drivers in the remote desktop client package are corrupt.  That may also extend to the remote desktop service package, because they are both installed at the same time by a single KB (KB2592687).  That is the "RDP8" (remote desktop 8) package.  If my guess is correct, then you will need to delete the entries for all of these drivers:

bth.inf

tsgenericusbdriver.inf

tsusbhubfilter.inf

termkbd.inf

termmou.inf

There is a 2nd issue at work here though.  The RDP8 package you have hasn't actually been superseded.  Instead, a package that it depends on has, and when the package that it depends on is scheduled to uninstall that makes RDP8 also eligible to be uninstalled.  This package is known as the "DTLS" package (KB2574819).  Most likely you have the v1.007 version of the DTLS package, which has a bug in its packaging that allows it to be superseded and removed, while RDP8 still needs it.  To fix that you can install the v2.000 version of the DTLS package from here:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2574819/en-us

My recommendation is to go through with the cleanup, delete the registry entries for the above inf files, and allow the uninstall to complete.  After that, I'd suggest you run the system update readiness tool (checksur.exe) to see if there are any other corruptions that need to be repaired.  Then download DTLS v2 and install it, and re-install the RDP8 package.  (available here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2592687/en-us)

If all goes well, that should eliminate the known corruption issues.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-12-19T21:49:03+00:00

(Edited to note that regedit must be ran as administrator.)

FYI, this is the exact same problem I helped with at this link:  http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/308666-kb2852386-windows-updates-cleanup-failing-after-reboot-4.html

I have copied my explanation and instructions on how to fix it below.  For your further information... This is corruption that was likely caused by power-loss or crash during, or shortly after an update.  There may be further corruptions.  I'd recommend running chkdsk /f c: and rebooting to allow it to run, and then downloading and running the system update readiness tool (checksur.exe http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947821/en-us.http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=D22AF4E2-1AAF-4672-8951-4B7920F982E9&displaylang=en  However, to solve this specific problem, you will have to follow the steps below (listed 1-14), checksur.exe will not help.

The uninstall is failing, because the driver bth.inf version 6.1.7601.17607 is not installed in the driver store. FYI., you can get further details of driver install/uninstall failures by looking at %windir%\inf\setupapi.dev.log. In this case it looks like the "Winsxs store" and the "driver store" have gotten out of sync since the error is ERROR_NOT_FOUND when trying to uninstall bth.inf.

To verify, from an elevated cmd prompt run:

fsutil hardlink list %windir%\WinSxS\amd64_bth.inf_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7601.17607_none_d0789c5ad225ef11\bth.inf

It should list 2 directories that bth.inf is linked to like:

\windows\WinSxS\amd64_bth.inf_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7601.17607_none_d0789c5ad225ef11\bth.inf

\windows\system32\driverstore\filerepository...<path to bth.inf>

I'm assuming it won't list the one under driverstore\filerepository, which will indicate that I'm right that the two stores are out of sync. Even if it lists both directories they are still likely out of sync and the following steps will work to get around the problem.

  1. run cleanmgr.exe and let it "cleanup windows updates", but do not reboot
  2. run regedit.exe as Administrator
  3. navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Component Based Servicing\DriverOperations
  4. There should be a sub-key named either "0" or "1". Expand that key
  5. Under that key, you will see one or more numbered keys. Look for the numbered key that contains a value named "Inf" which is equal to "bth.inf" (probably "1".). You need to delete this key, and in order to do that you will need to give Administrators ownership of the key, and give Administrators delete access following these instructions:
  6. Right click that numbered key and select "permissions"
  7. Select the Owner tab
  8. Select Administrators in the “name” list
  9. Click OK
  10. Select Administrators in the “Group or User names” list
  11. Click on the Allow check box for Full Control
  12. Click OK
  13. Right click the numbered key again and select Delete
  14. Reboot the computer

Those steps prepare the “cleanup windows update” operation, but remove the step where it uninstalls bth.inf from the driverstore. Worst case is it leaves bth.inf and its associated files orphaned in the driver store, but that should not cause any problems.

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

45 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  2. Anonymous
    2013-11-28T22:08:52+00:00

    OK your System Information file arrived through my back door. You could send the the Event Viewer files the same way.

    The failure code for the failing updates is interesting:

    Error means 0x80070003 COR_E_DIRECTORYNOTFOUND The specified path couldn't be found - ALLUSERSPROFILE Microsoft network dir doesn’t exist.

    Try this Fixit:

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/910336/en-gb

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-11-28T20:37:32+00:00

    Please provide a copy of your System Information file. Type System Information in the Search Box above the start Button and press the ENTER key. Select File, Export and give the file a name noting where it is located. The system creates a new System Information file each time system information is accessed. You need to allow a minute or two for the file to be fully populated before exporting a copy. Please upload to your Sky Drive, share with everyone and post a link here. Please say if the report has been obtained in safe mode.

    Please upload and share with everyone copies of your System and Application logs from your Event Viewer to your Sky Drive and post a link here.

    To access the System log select Start, Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Event Viewer, from the list in the left side of the window select Windows Logs and System. Place the cursor on System, select Action from the Menu and Save All Events as (the default evtx file type) and give the file a name. Do the same for the Applications log. Do not provide filtered files.

    For help with Sky Drive see paragraph 9.3:

    http://www.gerryscomputertips.co.uk/MicrosoftCommunity1.htm

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments