this file format is unsupported or the file is damaged error message after Windows RT 8.1 upgrade

Anonymous
2013-10-18T23:14:42+00:00

After I upgraded my Surface RT 64/gb to Windows RT 8.1, the photo app no longer recognizes the file format of jpegs!  You CAN see the photos within the photo app, and browse thru them. The photo app tile, however, will not display any pics whatsoever (it did just great BEFORE the upgrade).  If you try to set a static tile photo, it tells you that "this file format is unsupported or the file is damaged"!  THIS EVEN HAPPENS IF YOU TAKE A PIC WITH THE BUILT-IN CAMERA AND TRY TO USE IT FROM THE CAMERA ROLL -  It still says that the photo format is unsupported or damaged!

Interestingly, even though you cannot assign a photo to the Photo tile, you CAN set that photo as a lock screen photo.  So, therefore, it seems that this issue is only with the Photo App.

Also, after the upgrade, the "Turn Live Tiles On/Off" option is now missing.  You can only resize the photo app tile or "unpin" from start menu.

Mircrosoft PLEASE FIX THIS

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Music, photos, and video

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-10-21T18:20:45+00:00

Hi Lyle,

The issue you are hitting with file is an unsupported format is a known issue.  We are working to get a fix out to windows update.  It tends to be intermittent, if you shut down and restart the app it sometimes goes away.  Try doing this from Task Manager -> select Photos -> End Task

The ability to set as static tile is also available in 8.1.  You can either find a picture and click on "set as" -> "photos tile".  Alternatively, you can also swipe the right side->click "settings"->"options"->"shuffle photos on the photos tile" ->"off".

Was this answer helpful?

2 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

46 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Barb Bowman 80,815 Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2013-10-19T17:59:05+00:00

    Did everything as instructed - Live tiles option not available. Still cannot assign a pic to the live tiles. It should be noted that I CAN assign the pic to the lock screen, and I can also edit the pic in the photo app. I think I'm going to restore my surface to Windows 8.0 until Microsoft can get their act together. I switched from an Ipad to a Surface - and this is simply a nightmare. Now I know WHY I should've stuck with the ipad - it simply works without this **** happening.

    Lyle

    Do you still get the  "this file format is unsupported or the file is damaged" error?

    If you create a new user, do you have this issue with the new user account? I DO understand the frustration.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-10-19T17:13:13+00:00

    Did everything as instructed - Live tiles option not available. Still cannot assign a pic to the live tiles. It should be noted that I CAN assign the pic to the lock screen, and I can also edit the pic in the photo app. I think I'm going to restore my surface to Windows 8.0 until Microsoft can get their act together. I switched from an Ipad to a Surface - and this is simply a nightmare. Now I know WHY I should've stuck with the ipad - it simply works without this **** happening.

    Lyle

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Barb Bowman 80,815 Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2013-10-19T16:48:59+00:00

    Barb - before I try this complex procedure, how does this explain the missing "Turn Live Tiles On/Off" feature of the photos tile?  It was there before the upgrade, and now it's gone.

    Also, as noted above, I CAN assign my pics as a lock screen pic - so the system obviously recognizes the file extension.

    It seem to me that the problem is with the Photo App in that it is missing the live tiles on/off function.

    Lyle

    Lyle,

    I've seen the missing Live Tile option - which to me seems to be a result of the index not being built. Once the index is built, you can get that option to appear. What you can try:

    Make sure the Photos App is closed completely.

    Go to the classic desktop and using Windows file explorer create a new folder C:\Pix

    Make sure the View is set to Large or extra large icons

    Move 10 pictures into the new folder

    Display Libraries, Picture library and ADD C:\Pix with the 10 pictures

    REMOVE *all* the other Picture locations

    Close explorer

    Open Explorer and display libraries. Is C:\Pix shown and is it populated ?

    Right click a jpg and OPEN (w/ Photos App) - does it open?

    If yes, close the Photos App, then re-open it. Is this successful and do these 10 pictures display?

    If yes, open the Charms. Then Settings, Options and toggle the setting to shuffle to ON.

    Leave Photos open for 5 minutes.

    Return to desktop. What is the status of the Live Tile at that point?

    __________________________________________________________________________________________________

    Barb

    Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP

    My Blog - http://digitalmediaphile.com/

    Barb's Connected World Blog Reader Windows 8 App -  

    http://apps.microsoft.com/windows/en-us/app/barbs-connected-world-blog/02f35769-52bf-461c-b1d5-06e54a58d298

    Windows and Surface Community Reader Windows 8 App

    http://apps.microsoft.com/windows/en-us/app/windows-and-surface-community/0abb150e-d287-47d4-837e-9fa51f485ad7

    Please mark as answered if this answers your question

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-10-19T15:13:31+00:00

    Barb - before I try this complex procedure, how does this explain the missing "Turn Live Tiles On/Off" feature of the photos tile?  It was there before the upgrade, and now it's gone.

    Also, as noted above, I CAN assign my pics as a lock screen pic - so the system obviously recognizes the file extension.

    It seem to me that the problem is with the Photo App in that it is missing the live tiles on/off function.

    Lyle

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments