WINDOWS UPDATE EXCESSIVE DATA USAGE IS INCONSIDERATE!!

Anonymous
2014-04-09T14:31:19+00:00

I use a cellular connection to run my computer and have to pay for my data. Right now I have 5 GB of data a month and if I was to update my computer every time Windows wants to update it, I would run out of data even if I was not going to use my computer at all. I turned of automatic updates to control it , but it is very frustrating to do this. I have to take my laptop to the library in town just to do updates. I costs me $6.00 in gas just to go to town and back. I try not to go to town more than 2 times a month.

Why is it that Microsoft has no concern about the amount of data it requires to do updates. I chatted with some arrogant support person and he treated me like an idiot and said he was going to send me some trouble shooting that might help me. He never sent me anything and I know it is because if he sent the chat transcript, he would be fired when I reported him.

Right now it is requesting an update for .9 GB. The previous update was for 2.16 GB. It happens all the time.

I want to keep my computer up to date but Microsoft makes it very difficult to do so. There has to be a way to have updates that just change a small potion of a program with out consuming so much data.

GET IT TOGETHER MICROSOFT!!!!!

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2018-04-28T11:54:51+00:00

    I've always found that the attitude of the employee reflects the attitude of the owner himself and management. They made a mistake and do not want to have to deal with it in a proper and helpful way. They want our money and to then just go away. A suicidal way to operate. I suspect this to be the beginning of the end of Microsoft. Watch and see.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-04-28T11:45:53+00:00

    If you are using windows 10? The update will turn windows update back on by itself. I disabled it 4 times and it un-disabled it every time.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-04-28T11:41:25+00:00

    Not required to pay unreasonable costs associated with updates! Like I said their customers satisfaction matters NOT to them.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-04-28T11:37:24+00:00

    I too experienced this Windows 10 update virus. It has ruined my computer and used up $300 dollars in data. I finally said enough enough and wiped my hard drive and install Windows 8.1 I had originally had installed before this free version. They don't care about us. Good luck getting any money out of these idiots. I'll never buy another Microsoft product again. Gates can kiss my ass...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2018-04-06T01:55:00+00:00

    As my name indicates, I am not pleased.  The Creators Update issue has been going on for months.  Windows checks the system to see if ok to proceed with update, update starts, update fails.  Again, again and again.   I turned off all updates, but as Windows 10 is a "service", it cannot be stopped permanently.  Contacted Microsoft Support and had them remotely access my pc to eliminate the updates.  This did not help the issue at all, as the next day everything started again.  Okay, so I'll live with it, I have a big data plan at home.  However, I had to work from the hotspot on my phone while I was out of town and in the background, the updates started and failed.  By the time I realized what was going on, as I was shutting my pc off everytime it wasn't in use, I never received the "update failed" notification as it just restarted in the background, otherwise I would have turned all updates off each time I started my pc back up.  My data bill was enormous $1000 +.   

    Contacted Microsoft support again yesterday and we went through step by step (no remote access this time) to stop the updates.  Followed the tech's exact instructions and restarted as requested, said I should be go to go.  Next day, the updates start, the updates fail.  So digging through the Windows update catalog, I started at the first update that failed and did a standalone install - update was not compatible with my system.  Tried the next failed update, same result - not compatible with system.  Did a little searching and found out that this is an issue with several types of pc's with certain processors.  Found the list of computers that the update would run on and mine was not listed. 

    So, long story short:  Should the Windows update not catch the fact that this update would not run on this system when it checks the system before installing the update?  Should the tech not have noticed when they had remote access to my pc and said it was an old version, that it was not compatible with the update? Is there any permanent way to disable these updates? Should Microsoft reimburse me for some of the excessive data charges?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments