WINDOWS UPDATE EXCESSIVE DATA USAGE IS INCONSIDERATE!!

Anonymous
2014-04-09T14:31:19+00:00

I use a cellular connection to run my computer and have to pay for my data. Right now I have 5 GB of data a month and if I was to update my computer every time Windows wants to update it, I would run out of data even if I was not going to use my computer at all. I turned of automatic updates to control it , but it is very frustrating to do this. I have to take my laptop to the library in town just to do updates. I costs me $6.00 in gas just to go to town and back. I try not to go to town more than 2 times a month.

Why is it that Microsoft has no concern about the amount of data it requires to do updates. I chatted with some arrogant support person and he treated me like an idiot and said he was going to send me some trouble shooting that might help me. He never sent me anything and I know it is because if he sent the chat transcript, he would be fired when I reported him.

Right now it is requesting an update for .9 GB. The previous update was for 2.16 GB. It happens all the time.

I want to keep my computer up to date but Microsoft makes it very difficult to do so. There has to be a way to have updates that just change a small potion of a program with out consuming so much data.

GET IT TOGETHER MICROSOFT!!!!!

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2014-05-14T16:31:54+00:00

    Thanks Shawn, I will give that a try.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-05-14T16:30:46+00:00

    This is on my desktop at home so I don't have the opportunity to drag it into a Wi-Fi zone.  Thanks for the tip anyway.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. @CmdrKeene 90,631 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2014-05-14T15:59:59+00:00

    You might try using the steps I outlined in my blog about restricting excess data use, which will help when you're on a mobile connection.  What's great is that you can apply this to your mobile connection only, so that when you come around wifi, it will automatically switch from "sip" to "gulp" and grab all the data it needs when the opportunity arises.

    Limit Data Use in Windows 8 and 8.1

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. @CmdrKeene 90,631 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2014-05-14T15:58:00+00:00

    I would try using this Windows Update built-in troubleshooter diagnostic that will try to correct the problem for you.  You can find it in Control Panel, which is easily accessed by right-clicking the Start button.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2014-05-14T15:02:28+00:00

    I too, am concerned about my metered connection data usage, and report that half of my GB total for the month has been Updating Windows 8.1.  I get update requests almost every morning and attempt to install them, but often have "failed to install" problems, with no idea why this is happening.  Why does the "downloading update" bar stop halfway across?  I often go make my coffee and come back to see it still in that position.  When do I get to use my computer?  It seems Microsoft is using it more than I am.  Can you leave that "downloading" screen and go about your receiving mail, and checking the news on the internet?  If I go to the home page is it aborting the update?  Sometimes when I go back to the settings page, I get the message "all done" but what is the delay.  Often it is a half a day later before I can close out the settings window.  Why does it take so long to "install".  It seems to me that the update mechanics are very glitchy.  I can send a 1.5 MB photo in a couple of seconds.  Why can't it (Microsoft) download and install a 1.5 MB update in the same time frame?  What don't I know about the process?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments