Restored Computer, Missing Drivers, Cannot Connect to Internet

Anonymous
2013-11-16T18:53:43+00:00

So I bought a desktop computer running Windows XP from a friend of mine.  He wiped it clean before giving it to me and upon logging in I found that I could not connect to the internet.  I'm pretty sure the reasoning for this is that some of the drivers were lost after resetting.  I have tried different programs and methods in order to restore them but nothing has worked.  I would really appreciate some help, thanks a ton.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. LemP 74,985 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2013-11-20T00:19:30+00:00

    TIP:

    To avoid further unnecessary back and forth (there is far too much already in this thread), run msinfo32.exe, then click File > Save.

    Upload the *.NFO file to Skydrive (log in with the same username/password used to log in to this forum) or any other file sharing website of your choice and share it.  Use "Get a link" and then post the link in your reply here. 

    As ElderL has said many times,

    Unfortunately, even the new MS Answers forums implementation does not prompt for any system information when a new question is asked, so we know absolutely nothing about your system.

    Not knowing fundamental information about a problem prolongs the frustration and agony of resolving these issues but that is the way they choose to run things here.

    Thank you MS Answers owners, for continuing to make the resolution of simple problems as frustrating and time consuming as possible.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-11-19T23:32:35+00:00

    I'm not exactly sure what you mean.  You mean check on my computer if it is disabled?  It's working fine on other computers like the one I'm writing if that's what you mean.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-11-19T16:18:56+00:00

    Ok so I went through the guide and it was not helpful at all.  Most of the steps do not apply because I don't have a network adapter installed.  Its said that if that was the case then I should try and fine one on the Microsoft website.  I couldn't even find where they were located there.

    Hi Sam,

    The network adapter is incorporated in the motherboard. The Ethernet driver you installed handles communications for wireless networking as well as for wired connections.

    If the steps in the troubleshooting guide I linked to don't help, open the router setup menu and check to see if wireless connections have been disabled. It depends on which router you have, but the majority use the same IP address to access the router setup menu which is http://192.168.1.1

    If that doesn't work, refer to the router manual for the correct IP address.

    If you don't have the router manual, check online using the make and model and then download the manual for it from the manufacturer's site.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-11-19T15:27:44+00:00

    Ok so I went through the guide and it was not helpful at all.  Most of the steps do not apply because I don't have a network adapter installed.  Its said that if that was the case then I should try and fine one on the Microsoft website.  I couldn't even find where they were located there.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2013-11-19T10:07:10+00:00

    When I installed them, it gave me a list of three items to install, not all of those.  The three were NVIDIA SMBus Driver,  NVIDIA Ethernet Driver, and NVIDIA Storage Driver.  Nothing that had to do with wireless.  I was also wondering if it could work while plugged into an ethernet cable, because It is now on the list under Network Connections.  

    I was at school today, so that's why I'm getting back to you around 5:00 O'clock, for me, on Monday.

    Also since our times are pretty much flipped it seems, maybe it would be more productive to set up a live chat or something?  No hurry but you may not see my next reply until the middle of the night for me.

    Hi Sam,

    Read this article to troubleshoot wireless connections:

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/870702/en-gb

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments