Interesting that it has started working again. This incident is a reminder that any cloud-based service may stop at any time, and will only resume if the supplier both can and wants to fix it. :)
WSUS Sync failure
SBS2011
WSUS 3.2.7600.226
WSUS sync has started to fail over the last few weeks, initially intermittentl, now I cannot get it to complete at all.
Update source is Microsoft
Console error: Unable to resolve the specified upstream server name.
“WebException: The request failed with HTTP status 404: Not Found.
at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.ReadResponse(SoapClientMessage message, WebResponse response, Stream responseStream, Boolean asyncCall)”
at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.Invoke(String methodName, Object[] parameters)
at Microsoft.UpdateServices.ServerSyncWebServices.ServerSync.ServerSyncProxy.GetAuthConfig()
at Microsoft.UpdateServices.ServerSync.ServerSyncLib.InternetGetServerAuthConfig(ServerSyncProxy proxy, WebServiceCommunicationHelper webServiceHelper)
at Microsoft.UpdateServices.ServerSync.ServerSyncLib.Authenticate(AuthorizationManager authorizationManager, Boolean checkExpiration, ServerSyncProxy proxy, Cookie cookie, WebServiceCommunicationHelper webServiceHelper)
at Microsoft.UpdateServices.ServerSync.CatalogSyncAgentCore.SyncConfigUpdatesFromUSS()
at Microsoft.UpdateServices.ServerSync.CatalogSyncAgentCore.ExecuteSyncProtocol(Boolean allowRedirect)
This seems to be the key bit of the server log
2021-02-06 07:51:26.046 UTC Info w3wp.29 ClientImplementation..ctor Initializing ClientWebService ProcessID = 18412, Process Start Time = 2/6/2021 6:17:59 AM, Product Version = 3.2.7600.325
2021-02-06 07:51:26.065 UTC Info w3wp.29 AuthorizationManager.GetUpstreamServerUriHeader Found config says USS is MU site
2021-02-06 07:51:26.362 UTC Info WsusService.18 SusService.ValidateServerCertificate CheckValidationResult Succeeds: CertOK
2021-02-06 07:51:26.366 UTC Info WsusService.18 ServerCertificateValidator.IsHostAllowedException Requested host: sws1.update.microsoft.com
2021-02-06 07:51:26.367 UTC Info WsusService.18 ServerCertificateValidator.VerifyServerCertificate SSL validation succeeded.
2021-02-06 07:51:26.546 UTC Warning WsusService.18 WebServiceCommunicationHelper.ProcessWebServiceProxyException ProcessWebServiceProxyException found Exception was WebException. Action: Retry. Exception Details: System.Net.WebException: The request failed with HTTP status 404: Not Found.
So it is connecting to sws1.update.microsoft.com, and SSL validation succeeds. It fails after that with some proxy error.
(I realise that this server should be replaced, and work is in hand to migrate to Azure.)
Any help appreciated. Have been unable to fault the installation.
Thanks
Windows for business | Windows Server | User experience | Other
47 answers
Sort by: Most helpful
-
Martijn Kwak 6 Reputation points
2021-02-11T20:54:11.33+00:00 Confirmed working here. After trying the soap-fix and trying it out some stuff, I set it back to original configuration and I just left it alone waiting for Microsoft to fix it.
-
Shintaro Fujiwara 11 Reputation points
2021-02-11T20:32:38.793+00:00 I can help you all.
I had a same problem on WSUS windows 2008 R2 but I could sync just edit the registry key.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\WinHttp
For mine, it was blank. I edited to this value.
0x00000A00
I restarted the server and now it works fine.
-
AITD-Jon 11 Reputation points
2021-02-11T20:30:50.67+00:00 Working for me again too, with no changes on my end, just tested on two Windows Server 2008 R2 systems.
-
Steve Ewald 6 Reputation points
2021-02-11T20:24:21.063+00:00 This appears to be resolved for me with no action required. Maybe others can do a manual refresh to confirm.