Windows Media Player 500 Internal Server Error

Anonymous
2014-09-22T01:20:32+00:00

So just recently today, I keep getting this message when I try to find album info for songs in my WMP. It says "500 - Internal Server Error. There is a problem with the resource you are looking for, and it cannot be displayed" in the display box where I'd normally browse to find the album information.

I've never seen this message pop up before, and I was adding songs to my library like two days ago with no problems, so what's up with it right now? And more importantly, is there anything I can do to fix it?

I should also add that it seems to do this randomly, and even for songs that I already have added in my library. Clicking "find album info" on some songs will bring up the proper display, and others will give me that error message. So yeah, I haven't a clue what's up with this thing and I'd really appreciate a fix sometime soon.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Music, photos, and video

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-12-31T21:59:35+00:00

anluis' "The easiest way" worked for me! Yea! Kudos to anluis. The random success and failure of recommended fixes is baffling.

Happy New Year!!

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-09-27T22:47:23+00:00

    I have had the same problem and I just bought my computer. I have used WMP for years, because of the library and indexing feacher that was better than most of what is out there. The fact that I could view my files by "folder" made organization great.

    The backbone of that is the ability to search for album and track information. Guess what?

    ...IT AIN'T ****ING WORKING!!!! The one reason that I started using this program is because it had this capability, and I like that it did it on the desktop too.

    The X-Box music app is not even close to WMP in quality of sound, library and indexing, or functionality. I like having all kinds of options to let me do with what I wish with the software that I own.

    These Windows 8.1 apps are restrictive, give me a tenth of the options, and they are restrictive like the apps on my phone... I BOUGHT A PC, NOT A PHONE AND I EXPECT IT TO FUNCTION LIKE ONE. I want function, NOT FORCED INTEGRATION.

    I had to add a third-party PROGRAM (not app; those are for those apple-hipster ****ers) I buy Microsoft because, up until this point, has been as far from Apple as I could get. I do not care about it crashing, because I back up my files, and I can wipe the system and start again. I know that my phone is not a PC and never expected it to be one, and I feel the same way about my tablet, because it is good for notes and works like a laptop, but it is and it works by touch-screen. I use a keyboard and mouse with my PC.

    My point is that you have spent the last four-five years ruining Windows and alienating die-hard users like me, when you could have made all of the new functionality OPTIONAL!!! No! You had to force us into this electronic sodomy that is Windows 8 and 8.1, because it is all that there is! ...AND to put a cherry on top you did not update Windows Media Player?

    I am a graduate student working on a MA and  PhD, and I am in that 21-36 year old demographic that uses your products daily. I am not some baby-boomer that wants those kids to get off his lawn or to turn down that noise, I am an educated, young, tech-savvy, nerd that loves his electronics. When I cannot listen to my music and organize it I am not a happy customer at all.

    If you actually read these things, you might notice that the rest of these people have wasted their time doing all of the "solutions" that they can on their end, but the problem seems to be with Microsoft's computers, or with the third-party provider of the content for the music metadata.

    The point is that we the users in times of great contention are not going to go along with this forever, and there might be a little software company out there with a product that will have a lot of willing customers soon if these issues are not solved.. That is "SOLVED", NOT "we understand", because we are done with your understanding, and we will be heard and find a meaningful solution to our computing problems. Because if you do not, someone else will, and they are going to become very rich. I understand that use are not in charge, but you might know how to get this to someone that can. If you are having trouble reading this, please send it from your call-center to the main office in America, and they will know what to do.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-09-28T03:23:30+00:00

    I have had the same problem and I just bought my computer. I have used WMP for years, because of the library and indexing feacher that was better than most of what is out there. The fact that I could view my files by "folder" made organization great.

    The backbone of that is the ability to search for album and track information. Guess what?

    ...IT AIN'T ****ING WORKING!!!! The one reason that I started using this program is because it had this capability, and I like that it did it on the desktop too.

    The X-Box music app is not even close to WMP in quality of sound, library and indexing, or functionality. I like having all kinds of options to let me do with what I wish with the software that I own.

    These Windows 8.1 apps are restrictive, give me a tenth of the options, and they are restrictive like the apps on my phone... I BOUGHT A PC, NOT A PHONE AND I EXPECT IT TO FUNCTION LIKE ONE. I want function, NOT FORCED INTEGRATION.

    I had to add a third-party PROGRAM (not app; those are for those apple-hipster ****ers) I buy Microsoft because, up until this point, has been as far from Apple as I could get. I do not care about it crashing, because I back up my files, and I can wipe the system and start again. I know that my phone is not a PC and never expected it to be one, and I feel the same way about my tablet, because it is good for notes and works like a laptop, but it is and it works by touch-screen. I use a keyboard and mouse with my PC.

    My point is that you have spent the last four-five years ruining Windows and alienating die-hard users like me, when you could have made all of the new functionality OPTIONAL!!! No! You had to force us into this electronic sodomy that is Windows 8 and 8.1, because it is all that there is! ...AND to put a cherry on top you did not update Windows Media Player?

    I am a graduate student working on a MA and  PhD, and I am in that 21-36 year old demographic that uses your products daily. I am not some baby-boomer that wants those kids to get off his lawn or to turn down that noise, I am an educated, young, tech-savvy, nerd that loves his electronics. When I cannot listen to my music and organize it I am not a happy customer at all.

    If you actually read these things, you might notice that the rest of these people have wasted their time doing all of the "solutions" that they can on their end, but the problem seems to be with Microsoft's computers, or with the third-party provider of the content for the music metadata.

    The point is that we the users in times of great contention are not going to go along with this forever, and there might be a little software company out there with a product that will have a lot of willing customers soon if these issues are not solved.. That is "SOLVED", NOT "we understand", because we are done with your understanding, and we will be heard and find a meaningful solution to our computing problems. Because if you do not, someone else will, and they are going to become very rich. I understand that use are not in charge, but you might know how to get this to someone that can. If you are having trouble reading this, please send it from your call-center to the main office in America, and they will know what to do.

    Same here. Wow, messed up my computers  with reset to fix 500-Internal server error.  M computer manufacturer __  called  _________ to help me  was put on hold for more than one hour.  __  told me to go ahead and hang up.  What a way to run a company.  We have no other choice.  Got rich off us and now we are kicked to curb.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-09-28T17:47:37+00:00

    Yeah, I'm having the same issue, "500-Internal server error" when I'm trying to find album info in Windows Media Player. Today is September 28th, 2014, I'm using Windows 8.1 with update. Please, when somebody finds a fix, post it here.

    Thank you,

    Angel Trinidad

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-09-29T07:25:09+00:00

    dragon

    I have the same problem, and I think it's a Microsoft problem.  But this has been hanging around for over a week.  Get on the ball Microsoft.  I am sure there are hundreds or thousand of users have the same problem, but did not bother to report the problem.  Please get some of your expert to look into this problem

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments